SIGGRAPH BoF and CY2020 last call for feedback

Nick Cannon

Jul 28, 2019, 9:06:14 PM7/28/19
to vfx-platform-discuss
SIGGRAPH is upon us and we have our VFX Reference Platform Birds Of A Feather session coming up on Wednesday at 12:30pm in Room 507. We will of course talk about CY2020 but also focus on Python 3 porting and migration strategies, plus hear an update on the Academy Software Foundation CI initiative.

CY2020 will be finalized in the coming days so please do make sure you have had a chance to review the Draft and provide any feedback, either by replying to this thread or by emailing the Working Group directly at feed...@vfxplatform.com. Here is the latest Draft, with changes from CY2019 highlighted in red:

6.3.1gcc
2.17glibc
5.12.xQt
3.7.xpython
5.12.xPySide
5.12PyQt
1.17.xNumPy
2.3.xOpenEXR
1.1.x (v2 in CY2021)OpenColorIO
3.4.xOpenSubdiv
7.xOpenVDB
1.7.xAlembic
1.70Boost
2020.xFBX
2019 Update 6 (TBD)TBB
2.3.2PTex
C++14C++ API/SDK
1.1ACES
2019Intel MKL

Please note Python 3 *is* coming next year. It's up to studios to decide when they want to migrate to Python 3 but this is one change that is going to be at least as much work for many studios as it is for the software vendors. Software vendors are expected to deliver Python 3 enabled versions of major releases from next year.

We hope to see many of you in person on Wednesday and welcome any further feedback either in person or by email...

Nick