Python 3 Porting Best Practices Guide

Will Cavanagh

Feb 24, 2020, 3:28:32 PM2/24/20
to vfx-platform-discuss

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to share our “Python 3 Porting Best Practices” doc with the community. It explains the porting process we chose to use when porting Shotgun Toolkit to Python 3, with insight into why we made the decisions we did. The idea here was to document the specifics of a porting process for code that runs in multiple DCCs and alongside 3rd party code, since this is a common situation in the VFX community and not as well-covered in some more generic Python 3 porting guides that are already out there. And while it documents our process, we tried to steer clear of anything toolkit-specific, in the hopes that this document would be useful for everyone in the VFX community.

We also welcome any feedback or additions -- we would love to see this document grow and our hope is that it can be a useful resource for those outside the toolkit ecosystem as well.

Best,

Will Cavanagh