Support for MacOS and Windows from CY2021

Nick Cannon

Aug 20, 2020, 3:02:34 PM8/20/20
to vfx-platform-discuss
As announced at the ASWF Open Source Days event just now, the VFX
Reference Platform will be introducing support for MacOS and Windows
from CY2021. The web site has been updated with details -
https://vfxplatform.com.

There is a note on the site about MacOS support that gives some more
details and links to documentation. If you are interested in
understanding more about binary compatibility on Windows and what
drove our choices there then these links may be helpful:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/porting/binary-compat-2015-2017?view=vs-2019
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Windows_SDK
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/how-to-modify-the-target-framework-and-platform-toolset?view=vs-2019
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/overview/visual-cpp-language-conformance?view=vs-2019

We are excited to share this development and hope that it will
encourage people to adopt and integrate more VFX and animation
software regardless of their choice of operating system.

A huge thank you to those of you who participated in the Working Group
that figured out how to simply define binary compatibility for these
operating systems. Thanks also to all those of you who consistently
made your voices heard as you expressed the need for us to expand
support beyond Linux.

If you have any questions or feedback about the approach we have taken
then please share, either on this thread or privately to
feed...@vfxplatform.com.

Nick

Rob Bredow

Aug 20, 2020, 4:04:51 PM8/20/20