feedback on VFB 2.0 3D viewer

Yvette Fisher

Oct 5, 2018, 6:25:40 PM10/5/18
to sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Hello,

On windows computer using Chrome I having trouble using the rotation of the brain in the 3D.  Often even small movements of the mouse spin the brain too much and lead to it spinning from 10-20 seconds.  Hard to tell if this is an issue in the "gain" between my mouse and the 3D rotation vs. a problem that because of the delay of loading I'm always overshooting the rotation I would like.    The buttons for rotation work well but it would be great to have this functionality of free rotation.

The site looks really pretty overall, excited for its full release.

Best,
Yvette

Gregory Jefferis

Oct 6, 2018, 5:08:02 AM10/6/18
to Yvette Fisher, sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Thanks a lot for your initial comments, Yvette.

I’ve not seen this behaviour on Chrome on Mac yet. I’m not sure if Rob Court (lead dev) already responded to you but it might be helpful to have the full version string of your browser.

I forget on the new site, but on the old site if you go to Help ... Report an Issue, it should give you the full version string.

Best,

Greg.

Sent from my iPhone
--
Support Message for http://www.VirtualFlyBrain.org
---

Rob Court

Oct 7, 2018, 11:09:43 AM10/7/18
to Gregory Jefferis, Yvette Fisher, sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Hi Yvette,

We've noticed some issues with the latest few versions of chrome and newer GPU cards taking ages to respond to the rotate command and then going crazy catching up; does it then respond ok (after it's spin) or is it still overly responsive?

We have a new version on the way that may well fix your issue; I would like to contact you when we've got a new version online, if your happy for this, so you can check it on your system?

Thanks,

Rob

Yvette Fisher

Oct 7, 2018, 11:33:32 AM10/7/18
to rco...@ed.ac.uk, jeff...@gmail.com, sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Hi Rob,

Yes, I would be happy to test an updated version on my system.

Regarding the behavior after a long period of spinning: the spinning will eventually stop but the turning remains "too" responsive to small mouse movements such that it is still hard to use when a full longer spin is not induced.  I guess these issues could be related or not.

All the best,
Yvette

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.

Rob Court

Oct 15, 2018, 1:59:37 PM10/15/18
to Yvette Fisher, jeff...@gmail.com, sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Hi Yvette,

If you get a chance please test on your setup and let us know if it resolves the issues you noticed.

Thanks,

Rob

Yvette Fisher

Oct 16, 2018, 5:32:38 PM10/16/18
to Robbie Court, Greg Jefferis, sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Hi Rob,

Yes, that change definitely fixes the issue I was seeing!

best,
Yvette

Rob Court

Oct 17, 2018, 5:02:56 AM10/17/18
to Yvette Fisher, Greg Jefferis, sup...@virtualflybrain.org
Great, we should have the fix on the live site by the end of this week.

Thanks for your help,

Robbie

Yvette Fisher

Oct 17, 2018, 8:27:26 AM10/17/18