Virtual Fly Brain in Data Citation Index (Web of Science)

Eva Tendero

Aug 10, 2023, 8:01:49 AM8/10/23
to sup...@virtualflybrain.org

To whom it may concern,

Virtual Fly Brain has been selected by Clarivate as a potential resource to be indexed in the Data Citation Index on Web of Science platform, to support discovery, access, citation, and attribution of research data sets. We would like to collaborate with you to include metadata for your deposited datasets in this exciting project. We do not require access to the data sets themselves. This index employs metadata provided by repositories to create bibliographic records for datasets, which are searchable/discoverable by scientific and scholarly researchers.

Inclusion in the Data Citation Index (DCI) has no cost or fee for you. We index the datasets to make them discoverable on Web of Science and direct users to the repository’s own website to access and download the data. Inclusion in the Data Citation Index can provide the following benefits to your repository:

  • Increased visibility through the Web of Science platform which is used by 9000 researcher institutions worldwide.
  • Increased traffic to the repository website. This will allow users to access the data record in your repository and download data, subject to your repository’s own permissions and policies.
  • Increased citation of data resulting from increased visibility of your repository, and the support of data citation by Clarivate.
  • Metrics on data citation - with the future possibility of creating metrics at the repository level.
  • More information about the Data Citation Index can be found here: Data Citation Index - Clarivate

The next step is to perform a technical evaluation of the metadata. Please could you provide details of the best method for harvesting bibliographic metadata in XML or JSON format? If DOIs are created via DataCite, that would be a potential route for us to gather the metadata as provided to DataCite.

Once we determine whether the metadata has all desired fields for indexing, we will be in touch to discuss next steps.

I would be happy to arrange an online meeting to discuss/demonstrate the resource. Please let me know of any dates/times which may be convenient for you. Please take into consideration that I am going to be out of office until September 4th

Regards,

Eva.

Eva Tendero Cañadas

Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Associate Product Operations Manager

Time zone: GMT+1

clarivate.com | Accelerating innovation

Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Confidentiality note: This e-mail may contain confidential information from Clarivate. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please delete this e-mail and notify the sender immediately.

Robbie Court

Aug 15, 2023, 11:48:24 AM8/15/23
to Eva Tendero

Hi Eva,

Thank you for reaching out and considering Virtual Fly Brain for inclusion in the Data Citation Index on Web of Science platform. We are excited about the opportunity to collaborate on this project.

As a starting point to provide the metadata required for our deposited datasets, we can refer to our static dataset pages. You can find some of the datasets we hold here:
https://www.virtualflybrain.org/blog/releases/datasets/ and an example static dataset page: https://www.virtualflybrain.org/blog/2022/01/01/biomechanical-origins-of-proprioceptive-maps-in-the-drosophila-leg-mamiya2022/showing in the JSON block you’ll find a summary of the data associated with each dataset. We can easily produce the necessary fields in any format you may need.

If you can let us know which fields you think are applicable and the required format, we can discuss the next steps.

Thank you for offering to arrange an online meeting. We will coordinate a suitable time for that once you are back in the office in September.

Looking forward to the collaboration and further discussions.

Best regards,

Robbie Court
Lead DevOps
- VirtualFlyBrain.org

The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336. Is e buidheann carthannais a th’ ann an Oilthigh Dhùn Èideann, clàraichte an Alba, àireamh clàraidh SC005336.