finding driver lines

Sindhuja Gowrisankaran

Apr 14, 2021, 12:46:48 PM4/14/21
to VFB support
Hi Forum,
I am Sindhuja Gowrisankaran, a postdoc at Boston Children Hospital. I am new to working with flies and looking for driver lines to target post-mitotic neurons.
I would like to tag a target protein of interest with a proximity profiling tag specifically in post-mitotic neurons. Is there a preferred driver line which I can use for this purpose? Will pan-neuronal lines like nSyb-GAL4 work? Thanks for any recommendations/ suggestion about the lines or where I could find any information on this.
Thank you,
Sindhuja

jefferis

Apr 21, 2021, 7:34:49 AM4/21/21
to VFB support
Hi Sindhuja,

I don't think anyone at VFB has special expertise re this question so you will probably be better off approaching local fly/neuro colleagues. I would certainly start with nsyb-GAL4 or elav-GAL4 in your shoes. However it would be good to review the literature carefully to see exactly when they turn on during neurogenesis. You might also consider using an intersectional approach e.g. with a hsFLP in the adult if you want to be more confident of the timing of expression.

All the best,

Greg.