Finding GAL4 Lines

charles....@yale.edu

Jan 9, 2019, 9:24:14 PM1/9/19
to VFB support
Hello All,

I am trying to find out how to find GAL-4 lines that match neurons mapped on this site. I am using the feature to find pre/post synaptic terminals in certain areas of the brain such as the SMP. Is there a way to use the list of neurons developed in the query to find Gal-4 lines? I can't seem to find use for the list of neurons that the query produces. How can I find Gal-4 lines??

Rob Court

Jan 10, 2019, 9:13:50 AM1/10/19
to charles....@yale.edu, VFB support
Hi Charles,

For any neurons in the FlyCircuit dataset we have NBLAST queries available:
image.png
If a precomputed NBLAST query isn't available then a manual query can be run on our NBLAST dedicated site: http://nblast.virtualflybrain.org:8080/NBLAST_on-the-fly/?all_query=&all_use_mean=F&gal4_n=10&gal4_query=&tab=One%20against%20all
This will find the closest FlyCircuit matching neuron which then allows for potential GAL4 matches to be found: http://nblast.virtualflybrain.org:8080/NBLAST_on-the-fly/?all_query=&all_use_mean=F&gal4_n=10&gal4_query=&tab=One%20against%20all

We are working on adding more neurons to the precomputed NBLAST matrix to make this available for all datasets.

For more info on NBLAST and how to run more complex queries see http://flybrain.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/si/nblast/www/

I hope this helps,

Rob Court
VirtualFlyBrain.org

--
Support Message for http://www.VirtualFlyBrain.org
---

David Osumi-Sutherland

Jan 10, 2019, 9:40:31 AM1/10/19
to charles....@yale.edu, VFB support, Robbie Court
HI Carles,

For any neuron types you find via these queries (as opposed to individual images), you can also search for curated drivers.  The example below show a query for neurons with synaptic terminals in the SMP, followed by a query for transgenes expressed in one to the neurons returned by the first query:

->

Note  that in this case the query returns split driver halves.  We are working on an update to include complete details of split driver combinations in these results - along with images where available.  This should be public by the end of Feb.   In the. Meantime, you can find the other half of the split lines by clicking through to the FlyBase allele pages for these drivers, e.g.

Cheers,
David

On 10 Jan 2019, at 14:13, Rob Court <rco...@ed.ac.uk> wrote:

Hi Charles,

For any neurons in the FlyCircuit dataset we have NBLAST queries available:

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.