My messy fly tying bench

Gary Webb

Aug 25, 2021, 11:41:47 AM8/25/21
to vfb-mail
How did this happen?  Don't ask my wife.

The Wiggle Butt Two Headed Hopper is tied on a Never Snag weedless hook. https://neversnag.com/product-category/neversnag-guardhooks-weedless-fishing-hooks/   Two things I like about this hook.   First: It is weedless.  One of the best ways to fish a hopper is to cast it into the weeds on the bank and gently tug it into the water. I'm very good at getting my fly into the weeds.  Not so good at getting it out.
Second: The weight of the weedguard makes the fly land and float upright.
Because of the weight I had to add more foam to keep it floating. A second head accomplished that.  And I think it still looks natural enough for the fish. I might try using less foam for a slow sinking hopper.  I've heard sunken hoppers sometimes work better that the floating ones.

My Messy Fly Tying Bench Aug 25 2021.jpg
Tying Hoppers Tis the season.jpg
Wiggle Butt Two Headed Hopper.jpg

Neville Gosling

Aug 25, 2021, 1:15:04 PM8/25/21
to VFB
And I thought my tying table was messy! Never heard of Neversnag before.

Neville (Nev) Gosling

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VFB Mail" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vfb-mail/CAOii2ibeF-uoJyn7uRMzAafg%3DXzUz69pM_%3DAgVMUsiEC259Lew%40mail.gmail.com.
<My Messy Fly Tying Bench Aug 25 2021.jpg><Tying Hoppers Tis the season.jpg><Wiggle Butt Two Headed Hopper.jpg>

Allan Fish

Aug 25, 2021, 1:26:27 PM8/25/21
to Vfb
I’ve seen hooks similar to those when I worked for a time in a bait shop after I retired.  They were larger hooks designed as weedless worm hooks.  I never thought about using them for flies.

I’d love to see a picture of that 2-headed monster.  <g>.  I may have to get us some Never Snags.

Don’t know if I told you, I had a minor setback about 3 months ago.  I have a fractured vertebra.  I’m wearing a bra….er…..brace that helps a little but not a lot.  I’ve been trying to get in for surgery for 6 weeks and I finally got a call this morning.  It will be the 15th of next month.

I can only tie a couple of flies before the back says STOP.  It’s not so much bending as it is holding my arms up.  The fractured vertebra is between my shoulder blades.  I fractured it by simply rolling over in bed to get up.  Weak bones are no fun.  I’m blaming it on radiation therapy - one of the two tumors I had was on the back of my rib cage near this vertebra.  (The other was in my right lung.)

Other than that I’m doing well.  I’ve moved into a retirement community and am busy as ever.  I delivered “Meals on Wheels” this morning and have to leave shortly to go accompany the retirement community chorus practice (you probably didn’t know that I play piano).

Talk to you soon,
Al Fish
1014 Iris Ave.
Greenwood, in 46143
(317) 919-3413

Neville Gosling

Aug 25, 2021, 1:33:29 PM8/25/21
to VFB
Good to hear from you Al. I thought that you had been unusually quiet. Yes, getting old is not fun and these are meant to be the golden years. 🥺!

Neville (Nev) Gosling

Rene Zillmann

Aug 25, 2021, 2:52:23 PM8/25/21
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Allan,

delivering Meals on Wheels sounds like presenting a fly to a fish. So, delivering MoW to Allan is... ok, I stop this nonsense.

Nice to hear from you. Best wishes to the pcomming surgery. Keep us informed.

Best

Rene

Rene Zillmann

Aug 25, 2021, 2:55:56 PM8/25/21
to VFB Mail
Disagree, Gary.

For me it looks well organized. Scissor to the left, spools on top, bobbins right. A nice Danvise in the center. Material on hand. And a place for the finished flies.

Well, looks like the desk, when I ty with my 3 years old grandkids. How old are you???

R&D

Rene

Allan Fish

Aug 25, 2021, 9:22:27 PM8/25/21
to Vfb
I must agree with Rene.  I keep looking for what you call “messy”.  I would call it perfect - everything you need is within reach.  What more could one want?

Al

1014 Iris Ave.
Greenwood, in 46143
(317) 919-3413

Gary L Webb

Aug 26, 2021, 10:51:06 AM8/26/21
to VFB Mail
Thanks everyone for your comments.  Good to hear from you all.  Keep tying and post photos of your latest creations.

Everett Hall

Aug 27, 2021, 2:17:16 PM8/27/21
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
I remember your fly tying room and it was perfect!!?