Any VFB'ers communicating presently via email?

Gary Webb

Apr 10, 2023, 5:02:36 PM4/10/23
to vfb-mail
I see Rick Zieger fairly regularly posting on our Facebook group.
But hardly anyone else.  I miss hearing from everyone. It would be nice to know how many of us are still falling into the creek or out of the boat.
Gary Webb

Neville Gosling

Apr 10, 2023, 5:59:17 PM4/10/23
to VFB
Yes Gary, I am one of the culprits of not posting.

I have been very busy, and my computer died & I cannot afford a replacement at present. I am now using an 8 year old Mac Air with 11 " sreen but I had cataract surgery twice last year and I am having difficulty reading the small screen even with magnifying glasses. I am trying to get ready to go fishing but I need to do some work on my old 40+ years aluminum boat first ,but I have to do it outside and the weather is not cooperating as we have had a lot of rain.

I hope to return to fly tying as well. The pandemic messed everything up for me.

Nev Gosling

Bob Hendry

Apr 11, 2023, 12:54:11 AM4/11/23
to vfb-mail@googlegroups.com vfb-mail@googlegroups.com
I'm still hanging on. Though I don't understand why I even bother with wearing waders. Seems I spend considerly more energy trying to climb up out of the creek than fishing it. Nothing worse than having cold H²O up to your knees inside your waders

⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​
>--
>--

>---
>Groups "VFB Mail" group.
>an email to vfb-mail+u...@googlegroups.com.
>https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vfb-mail/CAOii2iat1B8078nR__Uv4%2B07UyhZLkprPodis7tT8ZJvyyV3dg%40mail.gmail.com.

Peggy Brenner

Apr 11, 2023, 7:40:54 AM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
I have it set up to read the email, I have been doing more teaching fly tying than fishing.  We moved from NH to Florida and picked the Nature Coast inside the coast line, so Have to drive to fish but avoid the flood insurance.  I did go to Sowbug and meet with Rick briefly to see his weaving.
Somewhere i ended up working with FFI Women Connect program so it's a lot of beginners for fly tying but fun, glad we are going away from Zoom, that was handy during the pandemic but not so great now.

Peggy B

--
Peggy Brenner
www: SixSistersFlybox.com

Gary Webb

Apr 11, 2023, 11:21:41 AM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear from you all.  I did look in the mirror before I sent my
complaint.  I can empathize with you all.  Last May I fell backwards off a creek bank from about 4 feet above the water. Ended with a collapsed L4.  Still get little reminders (pain) to remind me to be
more careful.  And my wife reminds me, and reminds me.  I have not been doing as much tying as I would like.  I'm presently organizing my tying station.  Too much stuff. I may have to donate a bunch at the next TU banquet.

Jack Harford

Apr 11, 2023, 11:57:17 AM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
As kind of a late comer to VFB, it is nice to get to know some of you a little better. I was introduced to your group by my friend Al Fish and he introduced me to several of you at Sowbug. This year I have not tied or fished as much as during the COVID years when I posted lots of flies on Facebook and Instagram. This year I missed Sowbug, so I am happy to hear any reports from those who were able to make it. I think we need something like Sowbug here in Indiana or at least the Midwest.

Good luck and tight lines,
Jack

Rene Zillmann

Apr 11, 2023, 12:36:26 PM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Gary,

thanks for waking up the group. I'm still here in Germany, still doing some fishing and occasionally tying. I've a ton of flies in my boxes and I'm seldom loosing some.

On the bright side: I'm sometimes busy to bring the grandkids into tying and fishing. It is one of their favorites to sit down with grandpa and do some flies. Ok, in an age of 4 to 7 a lot of things can be improved.

I will do my best to post at least a bit from time to time.....

I would be nice, if we can revive this group.

Best

René

Gerald Lincoln

Apr 11, 2023, 12:38:29 PM4/11/23
to Jack Harford, vfb-...@googlegroups.com

I joined VFB in the early days when the Linesend fly shop was still in business.  I did not post very often but did participate in a number of swaps.  The most memorable swap was of Whiting midge saddles that were divided between the participants.  I divided out two saddles equally to the group.

I do not believe I had a Facebook account when that change was made and do not know the name it is under.

Most of your names are familiar.  I have spoken to some of you at the Symposium of Fly Fishing Shows.  We still have a 4 wt. rod kit that Dave was selling to assemble.  It is for my wife and she has not put it together yet although she is very good at winding guides.

Gerald Lincoln

Formerly Mount Joy, PA

Now Neillsville, WI

Sent from Mail for Windows

JERALD CARUSO

Apr 11, 2023, 12:47:36 PM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
I'm not much of a Facebook person.  So I don't usually post on it.  I do "see" Rick Zieger of some of the fly fishing web sites I frequent.  I'm still flailing away at the water.   Doing mostly warm water fishing these days.  Currently, working on some frogs for the upcoming bass season.   I'll have to make a note to check out the Facebook page more often.

Jerry Caruso
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Gary Webb

Apr 11, 2023, 3:26:32 PM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Love to tie frog patterns.   Have you tied Tony Spezio's Froggie?
Great for trout and bass.

JERALD CARUSO

Apr 11, 2023, 3:49:38 PM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Tony showed it to me long before he moved down to Arkansas.  It's been a part of my warm water box for many years.  I tie from size 6 to 2/0 The one I'm tying is loosely based on the "gutless frog"  It's weedless.  It's basically Tony's pattern tied backward.  I'll see if I can post a picture of it on the Facebook page.

Jerry Caruso
"All things considered, I'd rather be in Philadelphia."

Gary Webb

Apr 11, 2023, 6:25:29 PM4/11/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Michael Bliss

Apr 15, 2023, 6:52:10 PM4/15/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
I'm still here.  I miss the "old" days too.  We had so many participating.  I am sorry that we have lost a few of our great members.  I appreciate Rick posting on the email site.  I did not know we had a Facebook presence.  I don't go there often.  I guess I will have to start going there.

Mike Bliss

--
Mike Bliss

Michael Bliss

Apr 15, 2023, 7:14:35 PM4/15/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
what's the name of the facebook group?

Mike
--
Mike Bliss

Peggy Brenner

Apr 16, 2023, 8:06:39 AM4/16/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
How many of us are on the facebook vfb page?  I was thinking we could swap but instead of mailing a box of flies just post a picture on the facebook, no postage.  They think a lot of themselves and are just to much now.  It would give us all some ideas from each other but not the consistency of tying a dozen or more of the same fly.

Peggy B

jba...@betadigm.com

Apr 16, 2023, 10:15:37 AM4/16/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

I haven’t been very active for a while, whether it’s posting to the group, tying or even fishing. Looked @ my tying station the other day, thinking about tying some bass streamers. Only got out on the water a couple times last year, hopefully that will change. I’d be up for a virtual swap.

J Balmer

Betadigm

jba...@betadigm.com

309-287-9421

How many of us are on the facebook vfb page?  I was thinking we could swap but instead of mailing a box of flies just post a picture on the facebook, no postage.  They think a lot of themselves and are just to much now.  It would give us all some ideas from each other but not the consistency of tying a dozen or more of the same fly.

Peggy B

Rick Zieger

Apr 16, 2023, 4:35:12 PM4/16/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com
Here is the info I got from Chucks wife.

3002 snow Lane oxford Al 36203 his email is the same his laptop has just been packed up since we are still moving chuckal...@centurylink.net

Rick Zieger

Apr 16, 2023, 4:35:39 PM4/16/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Rene Zillmann

Apr 17, 2023, 3:25:46 PM4/17/23
to vfb-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Peggy,

this is a good idea. Maybe we start with sort of 'What are we tying right now?'.

Rene