Goliath: Part 2

Kylee Pretlow

Dec 4, 2023, 11:30:52 PM12/4/23
to vexflow

My name is Elliot Gates, the host of Anthology Heroes, the podcast sharing stories of defiance and heroism throughout history. Anthology of heroes is part of the Evergreen Podcast Network. And in today's episode, things are getting hot because King Menelik II has just become Emperor Menelik II. He had been cozying up to Italy for years now, and they'd spent a mint helping him take the top job. And now they expected some return on their investment. In part One, I gave a lightning fast walk through of Ethiopia's history, how it clung to its Christian identity in a Muslim world, and how it tried to establish contact with the rest of the Christian world over the centuries, with mixed results.

Goliath: Part 2

Download https://t.co/eZvqtVNrg9

After setting the scene, we covered the early years of our protagonist. We went through Menelik's rise to the throne. We followed his diplomatic blunders and glossed over the type of man he was determined, inquisitive, and above all, hardworking. At the end of the episode, we followed along as he toppled the Emperor of Ethiopia, along with the help of the Italians, specifically their guns. I'd listen to part One first because I think it's important to understand how Italy came to be in Africa and to understand the relationships that Menelik carefully built with them. But if you like to dig into your meal before the cutlery comes out, by all means, let's get into it. Savages: Ethiopia versus Colonization part Two david and Goliath.

With Crispi in the high office and Antonelli on the ground, the two believed that Ethiopia was ripe for the plucking. Menelik had always been courteous and respectful towards the Italians, and they seem to believe this translated into subservience. But Menelik was no pawn. In part one, we talked about how he kind of had two different personalities: one jovial, easygoing and almost lighthearted one. But as soon as someone was talking business, this wax coating melted away and left behind that hard, shrewd diplomat who already knew before the conversation started what he would compromise on and what he wouldn't.
Antonelli was about to meet the latter.

The Italians only needed to wait them out and they would win. Why were they marching towards them? Word spread and the Ethiopians dashed around camp, grabbing their uniforms and stuffing a bit of food into themselves as priests performed a quick communion for the man heading to the front lines. Menelik and Taitu rushed to a nearby church to pray. The queen was bent low with a heavy stone tied around her neck, another Ethiopian tradition when performing a particularly desperate prayer. Then rushing out, they too took their place in lines. It was in God's hands now.

The calls for retreat were given. Heavy guns were put in position to cover the Italians, but Menelik's troops swarmed them. What did that capture prisoner say? Menelik's men were like locusts! The orderly retreat quickly fell apart and turned into an every-man-for-himself scramble away from this field of death. The Ethiopians suffered heavy casualties as they chased away the retreating Italians, but there was no denying the result.

As ragged Italian prisoners limped back to their colony of Eritrea, Menelik was in a perfect position to follow up his victory. He had them on the back foot, and historians have been critical of the Emperor for holding back. Some point out that Menelik could have gained the seaport that he had wanted all his life. Imagine that: no more relying on any Europeans for exporting. But this would have meant besieging strongholds, which we've already said was not something the Ethiopians were particularly good at. It also meant kicking them when they were down. Europeans were prickly about their reputation on the world stage and Prime Minister Crispi even more than usual.

eebf2c3492