New COLLADA visualization project started.

Andrey

May 15, 2011, 1:46:56 PM5/15/11
to veter-project
Hi Folks,

Here I would like to announce the new (sub)project we just started as
a part of our work on the new version of the driver console
application for Veter-project. Project name is DAEView and it is also
hosted on gitorious: https://www.gitorious.org/daeview . Please refere
also to the Wiki page at https://www.gitorious.org/daeview/pages/Home
for more details.

The main goal of this project is to provide reusable library to
visualize COLLADA files in real-time (high speed OpenGL-based
rendering) and support animation. This functionality is necessary to
simplify the integration of the work done by 3D designers and software
infrastructure to control the vehicle and visualize sensor data.

The first portion of the source code just commited and contains
support for the most geometry types, color materials and textures.
Also, animation is supported. The project consists of reusable library
and test viewer written using the library. Currently, we are working
on integrating this library in our existing driver console
application.

We are not positioning this library and corresponding test viewer as a
universal COLLADA viewer. However, we would be very glad if this
effort will attract developers who would be ready to contribute and
improve the library to the level where it could be considered as a
full featured COLLADA visualization library.

Regards,
Andrey.