ul

Madelyn Grindel

Jul 4, 2024, 10:37:15 AM (23 hours ago) Jul 4
to vestnavsperpa

Unfortunately, there is not much news coverage when it comes to recovery. One of the reasons it is so important that people who are in recovery share their stories of overcoming addiction is to show others that it is possible. By sharing stories of recovery a person is able to become a beacon of hope to those who are still struggling. Not only is it possible to live a life of sobriety, but it is also possible to thrive while doing so.

Michelle V 23:38
Well, I did go to college just went to local community college for a couple of years. But I really didn't know what I wanted to do. And I thought about it years later, it occurred to me that while my upbringing was not a movie of the week, excuse me movie of the week drama, it was it was dysfunctional. It wasn't the focus wasn't on what was best for my brother and I, the focus was on our because of some other addiction issues in my family, were they going to be able to keep the house and the focus was on? Were my parents going to stay together or not. And the focus was on a lot of other things, but it was not on what was best for my brother and I. And when I have conversations with my own kids over the years about college and what they need from us and what what they're interested in those conversations never happened in my household. So I never really thought what do I want, you know, what do I want to do and what am I good at? What would what would be fulfilling to me what would be interesting to me, those those just weren't conversations that ever happened. And then in recovery, that wasn't the focus that you know, the focus wasn't on. You know how How am I going to support myself as an adult? And what is that going to look like? So I just did what was in front of me, I just did the next right thing and but I was well taken care of in that regard. Because while I was in school, I was working. And the job I was doing was just helping out a friend of the family in her office, in bet her business. And I just picked up things here and there found some things that I was just really good at. And were interesting to me. And that evolved into now. Well, actually, I just accepted a position doing something slightly different. But over the last 20, some years, I've worked at a C suite level as an executive assistant. And it's interesting, because people sometimes think of that as you know, just administrative work. But it's actually this really interesting, really right in the middle of everything, position and just get involved it in the heart of the organization, whatever organization I'm working on. And I love every minute of it, because I genuinely care about the people that I work with. And I care about the health of the overall organization. And exactly, you know, the nuts and the bolts of how all the logistics work to make things run efficiently and well. And well, quite frankly, make money and just be successful overall. And some of that is is vestiges of liking to be the hero, which was my role in our family growing up, I'm not that I got to do that a whole lot. But that was, that was a role that I took on when I was younger. And so there is some of that in there, I really do like to be the hero. And I often get to do that at work. But the role I have now is actually a little bit different, where it's at the personal executive assistants. So there's there's a little bit different focus, but it's a lot of the same thing, in that I'm constantly handling logistics and fixing problems, and I really love it. But it isn't something I went to school for I've gone to school, I've gone to do specific training in different skill sets, different areas and toyed around with the idea of getting an MBA, but it's not necessary for the work, it would just strictly be for my own satisfaction if I were to go back to school, but so school while it's something I actually really enjoy college quite a bit. That didn't lead me to a career, but it did give me some confidence to do it. Well, and then I've always been well read and fairly articulate and I think that was strengthened by just simply attending college for a couple of years.

Inspired by National Recovery Month, people are aiming to reduce stigma by sharing the power of sobriety through a collection of diverse, inspiring recovery stories. The project, Voices of Hope, chronicles the recovery journeys of Valley Hope alumni, while offering hope and healing to loved ones and families seeking help. Voices of Hope leverages the personal stories of those living in recovery to help educate communities about the disease of addiction, effective treatment and the power of recovery.

If you believe you or a loved one is suffering from drug or alcohol abuse, we can help. Call us today to learn more about our drug abuse treatment and to get started. Or click here to see more recovery stories.

Welcome to the Rise Recover Live Podcast, hosted by Bryce Cobb III and Liz McKean and powered by The Phoenix.Every week we share stories from The Phoenix community and beyond, celebrating the resilience of people, the power of community, and the journey of recovery in every form and pathway. We hope that listeners of all backgrounds are inspired to be part of the movement and to break down stigma. Together, we rise, recover, and live.

Bryce lives in Detroit, Michigan, and Liz in Tampa, Florida. They found The Phoenix in very different ways but share a deep appreciation for community and its role in their own recovery journeys. Our hosts come to the mic with a shared excitement for highlighting stories that inspire hope and showcase the strength of the recovery community.

Reminding a loved one that they are not alone may mean sharing your own recovery story, finding examples of sober role models around you, or pointing out that about 10 percent of the U.S. population has struggled with addiction at some point. Openly discussing how common addiction is can help your loved one feel less isolated in their recovery efforts.

Bringing Recovery Supports to Scale Technical Assistance Center Strategy (BRSS TACS) is enriched by the lived experiences of people in recovery, who play key roles in BRSS TACS project leadership, development, and implementation.

Although many of us are working hard to break the stigma associated with alcoholism and addictions, there is still work to be done. By sharing our stories of recovery, we are informing others while encouraging the still-suffering person that there is a way to find themselves.

Be vulnerable in your story as well. This means sharing the parts of your story that you are not proud of. Others need to see that you are not perfect and that you have made mistakes. We all make mistakes, but it is what we do after we make them that defines us. A lot of shame and guilt often accompanies addiction, so be open about your emotions during your addiction and recovery. This can help others to feel less alone in their experience.

It is important to assess both the past and the present when sharing your story and making your recovery story outline. The past can trigger some people, so only share what feels to be the most helpful in the present moment. Your past can serve as a blueprint for others to follow, or it can be a warning of what not to do to maximize success and learn from failures.

The present is just as important as the past. In the present moment, we are the experts in our own lives. We have the power to change our story and write a new chapter. When you share your story, be sure to include what you are doing in the present moment to stay sober. This can be anything from attending 12-step meetings to working with a therapist. Whatever it is, sharing what works for you in the present moment can be incredibly helpful for someone who is just starting out on their journey, and give the necessary hope that recovery is possible.

Your recovery story is not just about you. It is also about the people who have supported you along the way. Be sure to acknowledge your entire support system in your story. This includes your family, friends, therapist, sponsor, 12-step group, and anyone else who has helped you on your journey. These people have played a vital role in your recovery, and their support should be recognized.

When sharing your story, it is important to be mindful of how you are presenting it. Are you making it seem like using drugs was fun and exciting? Are you making it seem like recovery is easy? It is important to be honest about the reality of addiction and recovery. Addiction is a serious disease that can have devastating consequences, and recovery is a hard but incredibly rewarding journey.

On March 31, Haley Katrin Studios, EBASS, and Right Turn present Singing Sober: Musicians Share Stories of Recovery. Celebrating the strength and power of those who choose to embrace sobriety, this event will feature Melissa Ferrick, MB Padfield, and Anjimile sharing their stories of the struggles, difficulties, and rewards of the journey towards recovery. The event will also feature an open mic where audience members can share their own experiences. We welcome everyone, sober or not, to join us in a gathering and celebration of Boston's sober music community!

But the people I spoke to for this article feel that coming forward about their recovery, however controversial, is now an urgent necessity in a nation where upwards of 190 people die of overdoses each day. And sharing your story as a public service can be even more vital in a field where substances often play a disproportionate role.

As more and more people in theatre have come forward with stories of abuse and harassment in recent years, it began a slow but (hopefully) steady rebuilding of parts of the field. Many theatre companies updated or introduced policies on harassment, and more resources for abuse survivors in theatre arose. Most people who spoke for this article had never worked with a theatre company that had a specific policy on working with theatremakers in recovery, directing depictions of drug or alcohol use onstage, or embracing the inclusion of recovery as a component of accessibility.

aa06259810