Converting rhombohedral cell to hexagonal cell

Mika R.

Sep 1, 2021, 4:50:54 AM9/1/21
to VESTA users' list
Hello everyone,
I just downloaded VESTA to create a high-resolution image of the Bi2Se3 Crystal Structure. In order to show its layered structure it is most convenient to present it as a hexagonal cell. My problem is that I only have the rhombohedral unit cell as a cif file (see attached) and don't know how to convert it into a hexagonal shape. Maybe someone could help me. I basically want ot recreate the atached image in higher resolution so that you get an idea of what my plan is. Thanks in advance!

Mika
Bi2Se3 crystal structure.png
Bi2Se3_mp-541837_computed.cif

Koichi Momma

Sep 1, 2021, 5:28:50 AM9/1/21
to vesta-...@googlegroups.com
From the Edit menu -> Unit Cell, just select the space group R1.
Cheers,

Koichi

Mika R. wrote on 2021/09/01 17:50:
Hello everyone,
I just downloaded VESTA to create a high-resolution image of the Bi2Se3 Crystal Structure. In order to show its layered structure it is most convenient to present it as a hexagonal cell. My problem is that I only have the rhombohedral unit cell as a cif file (see attached) and don't know how to convert it into a hexagonal shape. Maybe someone could help me. I basically want ot recreate the atached image in higher resolution so that you get an idea of what my plan is. Thanks in advance!

Mika --

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "VESTA users' list" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/vesta-discuss/59fd8056-09b2-4630-8fff-0583668a67e5n%40googlegroups.com.

--
Koichi Momma
National Museum of Nature and Science

Andreas Leineweber

Jan 12, 2022, 12:34:27 PM1/12/22
to vesta-...@googlegroups.com, Frau Dipl.-Ing. Hanka Becker
Dear All,

I am currently using version 3.5.7 (64 bit)

Upon opening the unit cell -> customize menue, I get message

"iCCP: too short"

This did not happen with the previous version I had, however, to
replace. Is this problem known?

I also encounter the problem that upon saving certain structures with
customized space group, the program fails to read in all symmetry
operations of a structure with (hopefully correctly) customized space
group. I do not always encounter this problem, but it appears to happen
with the attached file.

Thank you for your help

Best regards

Andreas Leineweber

--
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil. Andreas Leineweber
Institute of Materials Science

http://tu-freiberg.de/fakult5/iww/
test.vesta