iPad App

Pete Draper

Dec 13, 2013, 5:16:53 AM12/13/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
All,

We have been developing and road testing a bespoke iPad app for on-set data collation for the past 12 months and are getting close to release, albeit from final UI aesthetic.

99.9% of the elements mentioned in the VES filemaker setup are already included plus a bunch of other features / tools useful for data collation. If this VES proposal of uniformity is making some tracks, we would be interested in adapting our output reports to include the CSV export in their format, if not in the primary release but in the next point release.

Thanks

Pete

PS we will be looking for beta / RC testers of this app within the next month - if anyone is interested please let me know.

Sam Richards

Dec 14, 2013, 2:34:25 PM12/14/13
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
I would love to know if there are fields that you are entering that are missing from the format. I do want to make clear that the file-maker document should be really considered the low-bar for what camera reports should be doing (but hopefully a much higher low bar). Dedicated ipad apps, especially ones that can talk directly to the cameras are really the direction we should be heading in, so if that's what you are doing, then I wish you the best of luck.

The most important thing we are advocating is the interchange format. The reason I got into this is that we keep getting sent either filemaker databases of camera-reports, piles of individual PDF's, or in one case a very long printed fax of camera reports. All of these are pretty hard to ingest into any database. At best we simply store the PDF, which cannot be automatically read by anything (I did have somebody suggest running a OCR on the PDF!). I'm not saying that the PDF's are bad, but having an additional data representation that I can easily ingest, and not have to spend many hours ingesting for every show can really make a difference.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help...

Sam.

Mark Holman-Harris

Jan 7, 2014, 9:11:49 PM1/7/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Would be happy to beta test the ipad app Pete.

Pete Draper

Jan 18, 2014, 3:07:23 AM1/18/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
thanks - we've had some additional positive feedback for this and have been extensively testing internally and also adding a few additional features. UI needs finalising but the main feature set is there for the first release. The developers are now looking to incorporate the ability to export the CSV format using the suggested variable / header names from the VES. Will keep posted.

Betas will be out soon for select individuals, more than likely using the Test Flight app from the apple app store (its free). Currently we're only developing for the iPad but are looking to produce an iPhone version shortly after release should the demand be there, also a port for android...

Earlier post suggested we are releasing first beta back in Dec however this has been delayed due to holidays, sick leaves, fluff from Saturn etc...

Thanks

Pete

mark morgenstern

Jan 29, 2014, 9:09:04 PM1/29/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com

Hi -

I just joined this group; about to startup on another film using the ipad-friendly filemaker forms we used on Riddick, and would be happy to beta test give feedback on exactly this sort of thing.  Please keep me in the loop too, when you're ready...

Thank you!

Pete Draper

Dec 15, 2014, 5:19:56 AM12/15/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I just realised it's been a year since the last post, so here's the latest update...

We have been developing the app internally and using extensively on-set since the first incarnation (which pretty much chucked out a pdf of the data and collated images in a white paper logsheet basic UI). Since we're going to product with this thing, we've totally gone through and redesigned the UI and interactivity to make it as intuitive to the logging process as possible, testing extensively on set and "forcing" people to ensure every field is filled. We're keeping the end results close to the chest to some degree, but we're now looking for testers to assist in the final bug fixing / workflow critique.

One thing I've noticed with working in Europe, India and the US is that the way slates are noted differs on where you are located. EG in England / India, Scene & Shot + Take are noted plus slate (incrementing value) are logged by continuity, whereas in the US it is labelled as scene & slate which possibly means we will need to incorporate regional logging.

If you would be interested in testing the app (some UI elements yet to be finalised and are stand-ins) please email me separately with the UUID of your iPad device and model so that we can add you to our list of devices that can run the app prior to release. Will need people to sign NDA's also which we'll send across to those interested parties. App updates will come across via Dropbox. Currently running for iOS 8.x

Again, apologies for the delay, we went through and redesigned the entire thing, including some pretty cool workflow methods and data security that took time to implement.

Thanks

Pete

PS sorry can't post screenshots here...

Pete Draper

Dec 16, 2014, 12:33:49 AM12/16/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
... oh yeah and the VES implementation is now fully... uhh well 99.9%... implemented; one issue we are having is determining the format for the UUID for takes / shots etc. As I don't have access to filemaker, please let me know the desired format for these fields to generate the correct identifier.

thanks

pete

Sam Richards

Dec 16, 2014, 1:20:57 AM12/16/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
This is the function that is called in FM13+:

In FM11, we had some functions we added to do it. You should be good with most standardised versions...

Sam.

Pete Draper

Dec 16, 2014, 7:15:24 AM12/16/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Sam,

As we are hard-coding this, would it be possible to share the functions... Unless the 128bit string is totally randomly generated for each entry..?

Thanks

Pete

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "ves-tech-camera-reports" group.

Sam Richards

Dec 16, 2014, 11:55:19 AM12/16/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Ideally you should be using a standized UUID generator, if you are using objective-c, then I think this might work:
NSString *UUID = [[NSUUID UUID] UUIDString];

from here:

Take a look here for how to generate them:

but if you need the original filemaker code, I can dig it up (although it may actually be in this forum somewhere!).

Sam.

Pete Draper

Dec 16, 2014, 12:16:53 PM12/16/14
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Great thanks, we'll have a look. Cheers!

Pete

Pete Draper

Dec 12, 2015, 2:04:47 AM12/12/15
to ves-tech-camera-reports
Hey guys, long time no hear.

We've been using our app in-house for god-knows how long now and have designed and redesigned the thing, adjusting stuff for workflow and adding features to make life easier on set so you can "at a a glance" see what's missing and have the ability for multiple collaboration.

One thing we're scratching our heads on is slating. Primarily because each different region slates differently:

Some of us have worked in the US, some in the UK and some over here in India and each method of slating is different.

EG: If there is a 3 camera setup for a shot (1st shot of the scene), the following slates would apply:

US:
42 Tk1
42A Tk1
42B Tk1

UK
(scene number would be optional and usually marked down in continuity / script supervision)
42 256 (slate no) Tk1A
42 256 Tk1B
42 256 Tk1C

India
42 sh1 Tk1 Cam A
42 sh1 Tk1 Cam B
42 sh1 Tk1 Cam C

If there are any other methods used in Europe, Australia, Japan, Korea, China (etc) please let me know. We're trying to make this a defacto standard app that talks to all logging systems and ties into existing workflows.

Thanks!

Pete