still alive ?

Grueni

Sep 12, 2020, 6:28:52 AM9/12/20
to ves-tech-camera-reports
Hi all,
I can see that the latest topic dates over a year back, that seems to indicate that this hasn't become the standard that you guys hoped for ...

Short Q: Is it worth looking into all of it ? or is it dead as disco...   ?

Long Q: I'm handling all my VFX shotlists, bid comparison, review notes aka shotcomments even EDL import etc. in a hand knitted FM Database...
Funny enough the VFXCamsheet I use on set still is paper (or a manually filled in pdf) and I need to re-type it all into the laptop in the evening... Very boring and I have numerous half finished attempts to make a FM based solution. Trick is to get it as quick as me on paper..  (and waterproof and not running out of power...  )

Anyway new project starting soon, new attempt and I finally have a 12.9 IPad that has the screen size to get the info displayed....  so I'm wondering if the VES .csv has become sort of a standard or if it's basically not developed further.

thx Jo

Sam Richards

Sep 14, 2020, 6:08:23 PM9/14/20
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
The filemaker databases have been widely used on many productions, and some productions have been kind enough to give us updated versions of the filemaker database with some enhancements.

The original idea was to help with the ingest of the screening reports into tools like shotgun. We have not been as successful at getting them to adopt it as we would like, having said that, there are tools that people have developed to help with that. https://setellite.nl/ also makes a 3rd party ipad application that supports the transfer format.

Unfortunately we are no longer able to make the standalone app, since filemaker has disabled this functionality (we do have an older version on the website), although I believe the ipad version is still available for free.

I do recommend using it in combination with a PC/Mac version of filemaker, so that you can regularly make backups, and potentially print the reports as as paper backup, as you go along.

As always, we are open to suggestions for improvement.

Sam.

Grueni

Dec 16, 2020, 9:00:26 AM12/16/20
to ves-tech-camera-reports
Hi there,
damn...    gmail is not my primary email account, possibly stupid of me to use it here...   :-)

I'm a huge filemaker fan and longtime user, I import my scripts manage my Q&A for the director/ dop / production, handle shots and assets, bids from various houses I even import EDLs into  my DBase when working in the cut versions and later manage shotversions and my comments through it...  also it's quite easy to create e.g. Netflix reporting .xls files etc.

the notes during filming I still do via a .pdf that I manually fill out (paper or Good Notes on the ipad) but I'm working on a filemakerization of that too (its just not that easy...  e.g. how do you do a sketch quickly - easy on paper )

I was just curious if its worth considering your fields / naming convention, it differs a bit form what I'm recording usually e.g. these days with EDL in most pro cameras the manual note of a focus pull (I feel) is more confusing than helping...

keep up the nice work !
krj