Re: Database changes that may be helpful for you

Sam Richards

Jan 26, 2019, 4:17:43 PM1/26/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
This is terrific work, I've lost immediate access to filemaker, which I'm trying to rectify, so that I can review this before putting this on the website.

Thanks again for the work!

Sam.

On Tue, Jan 22, 2019 at 4:31 PM Devin Breese <dbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

This database has been excellent to use, many thanks. After using it on several shows I've made a few changes to it that reflect my needs. I figured I would share in case it helps someone else?

-There is now a "Shot Dupe" button that copies info from the last take of the current slate into the first take of a new slate, and adds a "-" to the end of the slate name as a temporary placeholder. 99% of the time when the slate changes this is what I want to do. This will save a lot of time and redundant data entry. It was my biggest gripe with the database when moving fast on set or working with scripty's that like to change the slate letter.

-The Multi Camera layouts now have a "Shot Dupe Multi" button that will do the same thing as "Shot Dupe" but duplicate every camera for the current slate.

-Changing the camera letter will fire off a script that writes that info into the camera letter field for each take of the current slate. This should prevent seeing the wrong camera letter on a take when switching into multi cam view

-Added a sync scene view button to the multi cam Ipad layout, so you can get to it either from full multi cam or Ipad multi cam view.

I'm not a scripting wizard so user beware but I think I've hammered the bugs out of it, everything seems to be working properly.

I'm attaching a blank version of the database with my above changes.

Stay frosty,
Devin

Jordan Soles

Jan 26, 2019, 6:12:58 PM1/26/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Sam I would be happy to check it out if you don’t have time...those features sound super useful.

Jordan

Sam Richards

Jan 26, 2019, 7:35:28 PM1/26/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
That would be great!

Sam.

Jordan Soles

Jan 28, 2019, 5:08:18 PM1/28/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sam,

Great, I’ll sit down with one of our live action crew this week to go over the changes...I’ll take a peek at the code myself after that to ensure it’s fairly generalized.

Thanks!
Jordan

D Breese

Jan 28, 2019, 5:44:38 PM1/28/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I tried to delete my original post and sent it to Sam privately because there was a minor glitch I found that I've had trouble ironing out. The Ipad multi camera view will sometimes show the wrong serial number for the lens. The loop I created in the 'Shot dupe multi' button script is doing it somehow I think. It can be ignored, the info is correct in the database it's just not being displayed properly there.

Please, give my code a once over I'm sure there are better ways to script what I've done. The new buttons do save a lot of time, and should be part of the next revision of the database IMO.

Thanks all!

Randy Little

Jan 31, 2019, 3:53:41 PM1/31/19
to ves-tech-camera-reports
I have a question that I have never asked since first learning about this so many years ago.  I was surprised to see that camera tilt is a field but camera roll is not a field.  This seems like kind of a big omit.

Sam Richards

May 4, 2019, 9:22:25 PM5/4/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, this is super late. Camera roll is there. You may see it as "Tk Roll" in the spec, since its something that is per take.

Sam.

Randy Little

May 7, 2019, 4:54:30 PM5/7/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Its not odd that Tilt and roll are not next to each other? I seldom ever have a tilt with no roll.

Randy Little

Aug 23, 2019, 1:18:20 AM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com

I think we are talking different things.  Why is there no place to put the degree of camera roll ie dutch.  This seems like a huge oversight but it seems VES has given up on this like everything else it ever does.

On Sat, May 4, 2019 at 9:22 PM Sam Richards <sam.ri...@taurich.org> wrote:

Rob Bredow

Aug 23, 2019, 12:36:44 PM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com

Camera roll is available per take. As Sam noted in May, it’s called “Tk Roll”.

Rob

Randy Little

Aug 23, 2019, 2:00:33 PM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
tkroll is film roll.

Tk Roll

--

string

What is the film-roll, can be applied to digital too.

Required

  Which seems weird since probably not changing film/card roll number per take.
Might make sense to change that and move away from calling Camera Roll Camera dutch  since I'm not even sure they use the term on the Union test any longer and no cameras call it that in their menu systems and since the cameras are all standardized now on Camera Roll. Doesn't it make sense that we do the same thing? When a 2nd AC writes the data down they put Camera Roll.  Well they usually put T=x R=x H=x.  but again this whole project seems to have been abandoned. But if people are still working on it. We should be using the same terms as the cameras meta data in most common use cameras. IE Arri and Red. (probably BMD as well) since they are all using the same terms.

Rob Bredow

Aug 23, 2019, 3:08:09 PM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com

I think that documentation line is incorrect. As you point out, roll by take doesn't make sense.

Rob

D Breese

Aug 23, 2019, 3:33:23 PM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
It's rare but camera reloads can happen in the middle of a shot. Camera roll per take hasn't ever bothered me. Also, in my experience the camera practically never has significant dutch on it. When it does as a workaround why not just write that in the notes?

From a matchmovers perspective, and I've matched thousands of shots, these numbers are great for a start but the CG camera is going to be adjusted regardless until the frame matches up. If you know you have to get clinical for some reason, write it down. Otherwise if the camera has one degree of dutch on it, no big deal.

Randy Little

Aug 23, 2019, 4:48:42 PM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
Rob then you have redundant data in tkroll and Camera Dutch start and end.

Breeze if a reload happens during a take any script supe I have ever worked with bumps the slate and the 2nd AC starts a new cam report.  I just did 3 years of all kinds of dutched rolling crazy crane VFX shots.  By that measure why take tilt either?  Or height?  Why not just scrap the whole report since if camera is doing their job it's all in the meta data per frame and on their cam reports.  I have done plenty of cam tracking with zero data.  So why bother with this at all?  Right cause it all helps at many levels and saves man hours later.  If this is supposed to be a standard shouldn't it correspond to the data fields all the cameras are using?

D Breese

Aug 23, 2019, 10:48:41 PM8/23/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
That's cool Randy. You can always edit the database yourself so it works better for you. Share it with the rest of us here when you do.

Randy Little

Aug 25, 2019, 9:12:03 AM8/25/19
to ves-tech-ca...@googlegroups.com
This is supposed to be A spec. I can alter FileMaker all day long but then it’s not a standard spec which was the point of this creation correct?  That’s why there is a page with a released 1.1 spec with all the legal data fields.