Reconsidering community channels

Thomas SEGISMONT

Feb 16, 2018, 9:38:50 AM2/16/18
to ve...@googlegroups.com, vert...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

In order to help us support the community, we (the core team and module maintainers) tried to stick to a few rules:

- user group for questions
- IRC to chat
- issues on GitHub

These rules are documented on the website, but admittedly they are hard (if possible at all) to enforce.

As a consequence, we have agreed to:

1. Answer questions wherever they are asked

It seems many new users like to ask questions on Stackoverflow and GitHub.

We'd keep the forum as the main channel though: some conversations just don't fit the SO model and not everyone watches the project repositories.

If you ask questions on SO please use the "vert.x" tag https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/vert.x

On, GitHub, maintainers may use any tag which help them triage questions ("question", "invalid", ...etc).

2. Move from IRC to Gitter

A lot of maintainers don't like IRC or have technical issues with it. The #vertx channel is recorded on echelog but it's not convenient to search or browse. And sharing code, logs, issues is simply awful compared to modern alternatives like Gitter.

Gitter is preferred to Slack because:

- free, no limits
- it is not resource hungry
- it is well integrated with GitHub
- it supports advanced formatting

Let us know if you have any comment. We'll proceed soon with opening the Gitter channel and will update the website and the wiki to reflect these changes.

Regards,
Thomas

Julien Viet

Feb 16, 2018, 12:23:26 PM2/16/18
to vert...@googlegroups.com, ve...@googlegroups.com
+1, that will help to sustain the community growth in a better way

Emad Alblueshi

Feb 16, 2018, 1:34:08 PM2/16/18
to vert.x
+1 Awesome!

Jez P

Feb 16, 2018, 1:53:27 PM2/16/18
to vert.x
Good luck, I probably won't be joining up on either SO or gitter, but I will keep an eye on traffic here to try and help where I can.

Julien Viet

Feb 16, 2018, 3:08:25 PM2/16/18
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

user groups remains the main channel for engaging user discussion and questions.

so your help and support will remain much appreciated!

Julien