Vert.x 1.1.0.final released

Tim Fox

Jun 19, 2012, 12:41:00 PM6/19/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Highlights include:

1) We can now distribute rhino again - no more annoying manual install step
2) Several changes to the event bus including new point to point mode
3) Security changes to the event bus bridge.

And several other bugfixes and changes

Full changes here:

Enjoy!

赵普明

Jun 26, 2012, 4:05:36 AM6/26/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tim :)

no manual with rhino is very useful :)

I'm having a issue with the 1.1.0.final release:

After switching to 1.1.0.final, I can't do

vertx start

or

vertx deploy

any more.

when I ran `vertx start `, it gave a usage message:

Usage: vertx [run|deploy|undeploy|start|stop] [main] [-options]

    vertx run <main> [-options]
        runs a verticle called <main> in its own instance of vert.x.
        <main> can be a JavaScript script, a Ruby script, A Groovy script, or a
        Java class.

    valid options are:
        -conf <config_file>    Specifies configuration that should be provided
                               to the verticle. <config_file> should reference
                               a text file containing a valid JSON object
                               which represents the configuration.
        -cp <path>             specifies the path on which to search for <main>
                               and any referenced resources.
                               Defaults to '.' (current directory).
        -instances <instances> specifies how many instances of the verticle will
                               be deployed. Defaults to 1
        -worker                if specified then the verticle is a worker
                               verticle.
        -cluster               if specified then the vert.x instance will form a
                               cluster with any other vert.x instances on the
                               network.
        -cluster-port          port to use for cluster communication.
                               Default is 25500.
        -cluster-host          host to bind to for cluster communication.
                               If this is not specified vert.x will attempt
                               to choose one from the available interfaces.

    vertx version
        displays the version

在 2012年6月20日星期三UTC+8上午12时41分00秒,Tim Fox写道:

Tim Fox

Jun 26, 2012, 4:16:28 AM6/26/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
You can use vertx run

I think this was discussed in another thread recently

Tim Fox

Jun 26, 2012, 4:18:09 AM6/26/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com

赵普明

Jun 26, 2012, 4:20:07 AM6/26/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com

在 2012年6月26日星期二UTC+8下午4时16分28秒,Tim Fox写道:
You can use vertx run

I think this was discussed in another thread recently

So you mean that vertx start is deprecated, right ?

No wonder why I can not find docs for vertx start just now :)

OK, I'll read the new doc :)

Tim Fox

Jun 26, 2012, 4:25:32 AM6/26/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
On 26/06/2012 09:20, 赵普明 wrote:

在 2012年6月26日星期二UTC+8下午4时16分28秒,Tim Fox写道:
You can use vertx run

I think this was discussed in another thread recently

So you mean that vertx start is deprecated, right ?
It's not deprecated, it's been removed.

No wonder why I can not find docs for vertx start just now :)

OK, I'll read the new doc :)

The doc is actually old. The behaviour of vertx run hasn't changed, it's just that vertx start is redundant

赵普明

joshua1

赵普明

Jun 26, 2012, 11:20:25 PM6/26/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
It's not deprecated, it's been removed.

Another question:

Is vertx deploy and vertx undeploy also removed?

If that is the case, how can I  replace a verticle when they're running?

I use this quite a lot as many times I will need to modify a bit of code and see its change during development. I then just undeploy the changed verticle and redeploy it. I wrote a little script so that this is done in one command. I code in trial and error style, so I feel comfortable with it.

Now that if deploy and undeploy is gone, I can just restart the whole server. But when the project gets bigger, there may be many verticles deployed, when I only want to redeploy ONE of them, and that is frequent.

Can I redeploy a particular verticle with a command ? I think supporting this might benefit development productivity.

And it would be even better if vert.x can detect code change and redeploy automatically. just like what Play!framework does. I've seem it talked somewhere, but forgot the details.

BTW, the "usage" message showed when I type `vertx start` still shows use of start|deploy|undeploy

Tim Fox

Jun 27, 2012, 4:02:57 AM6/27/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
On 27/06/12 04:20, 赵普明 wrote:

> It's not deprecated, it's been removed.
>

> Another question:
>
> Is vertx deploy and vertx undeploy also removed?

yes

> If that is the case, how can I replace a verticle when they're running?

One solution would be to run your verticles clustered

> I use this quite a lot as many times I will need to modify a bit of
> code and see its change during development. I then just undeploy the
> changed verticle and redeploy it. I wrote a little script so that this
> is done in one command. I code in trial and error style, so I feel
> comfortable with it.
>
> Now that if deploy and undeploy is gone, I can just restart the whole
> server. But when the project gets bigger, there may be many verticles
> deployed, when I only want to redeploy ONE of them, and that is frequent.
>
> Can I redeploy a particular verticle with a command ? I think
> supporting this might benefit development productivity.
>
> And it would be even better if vert.x can detect code change and
> redeploy automatically. just like what Play!framework does. I've seem
> it talked somewhere, but forgot the details.

Yes there is a github issue for this (well... if there isn't please add
one :) )

> BTW, the "usage" message showed when I type `vertx start` still shows
> use of start|deploy|undeploy

Yes, that is already fixed in master. Thanks.

> --

Tim Fox

Vert.x - effortless polyglot asynchronous application development
http://vertx.io
twitter:@timfox

赵普明

Jun 27, 2012, 4:25:01 AM6/27/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com

 Is vertx deploy and vertx undeploy also removed?

yes

OK. Thanks

> If that is the case, how can I replace a verticle when they're running?

One solution would be to run your verticles clustered

I'll check that :)

> And it would be even better if vert.x can detect code change and
> redeploy automatically. just like what Play!framework does. I've seem
> it talked somewhere, but forgot the details.

Yes there is a github issue for this (well... if there isn't please add
one :) )

Yes there is, Issue #175

Russell Hart

Jun 27, 2012, 2:58:17 PM6/27/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
Is there something planned to allow remote deployment of verticles now the deploy command has gone?  Even though you couldnt do it from the command line client, the code let you specify a host as well as port for deploying.  This would be really great for continous deployment.

Tim Fox

Jun 27, 2012, 4:04:28 PM6/27/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
On 27/06/2012 19:58, Russell Hart wrote:
Is there something planned to allow remote deployment of verticles now the deploy command has gone?  Even though you couldnt do it from the command line client, the code let you specify a host as well as port for deploying.

Vert.x has never supported deploying to a remote machine, it only ever let you deploy to a server on the local machine

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/vertx/-/97GpZeJ0k5sJ.

Russell Hart

Jun 28, 2012, 5:56:23 AM6/28/12
to ve...@googlegroups.com
My mistake.  I thought the command line client (VertxMgr) used to set up a listener on a port for running commands against the vertx instance after it was started.  Although you could never specify the host as part of the command line client the VertxMgr code used to hardcode this to localhost so I thought there might have been scope for remote deployment via that mechanism.