EF Labs vertigo fork

Magnus Koch (work)

Sep 5, 2016, 9:16:13 AM9/5/16
to vertigo
Hi all (few?),
Just a heads up that we have continued work on Vertigo for vertx3, focused on our own use cases. There is a significant number of bug fixes and a few new features implemented in there, usability improvements (e.g. see the word count example), updated tests and examples as well as some additional hooks for injecting custom implementations for runtime components.

However there are a few caveats;

Most importantly, a number of intended features have been scaled back or commented out, in the interest of having a more stable framework that doesn't have unimplemented or broken functionality. This includes the more advanced messaging features like guaranteed delivery, ordering, persistent connections, as well as component state. While we understand there can be value there, they were simply too far from production quality to be useful, and we don't need them at this point. In fact, if anyone is interested in putting these back in I have some thoughts on how to approach them, but can't justify spending the time on it.

Second, the package names have changed on many of the classes which makes our version incompatible with the existing one. The reason for this is to make it more understandable.

Third, the focus has shifted slightly towards semi-synchronous processing (because that is what we need). The semi-synchronous stuff is fully optional of course, but the methods and helper classes show up nonetheless.

And finally, documentation is unfortunately still pending but should be the next focus area.

Note that we've changed the group id in our branch to keep our versions separate.
<dependency>
  <groupId>io.eflabs.vertigo</groupId>
  <artifactId>vertigo</artifactId>
  <version>1.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
</dependency>

It would be great to know if others are interested in helping with it, either in our fork or in committing stuff back to Jordan's branch.