Is messaging unidirectional?

John Smith

Nov 27, 2014, 11:06:21 PM11/27/14
to vertx-...@googlegroups.com
Or can components reply back?

Jordan Halterman

Nov 28, 2014, 2:43:18 AM11/28/14
to vertx-...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I apologize. For some reason I completely overlooked this question.

Right now messaging in Vertigo is indeed uni-directional. However, networks are not required to be acyclic. Vertigo intentionally supports cyclical graphs, and integration tests verify that this works.

That said, I've found that lack of responses with support for cyclical graphs simply means that users need to write more boilerplate code to handle request-reply semantics. Obviously, this is something that could be better handled by Vertigo's messaging layer. So to that end, Vertigo 1.0 (currently under development for Vert.x 3) will support request-reply ports. However, note that request-reply semantics may imply some limitations on network structures, and this was the difficulty with implementing them originally. For instance, right now a request-reply port could only be used between two single instance components. This is because each port could potentially communicate with many destinations, and currently there's no facility for aggregating responses from multiple destinations. It's probable, however, that before Vertigo 1.0 is released this limitation will be removed to allow ports that communicate with multiple components to aggregate replies from those components. This will be implemented as a port configuration specifying whether multiple channels are allowed by the port (Vertigo 1.0 has port types, e.g. publish, request-reply, persistent, etc). But I digress.

Sorry again that I didn't notice this!

> On Nov 27, 2014, at 8:06 PM, John Smith <java.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Or can components reply back?

Oliver Rolle