Re: versaplex installation script

Avery Pennarun

Jan 21, 2008, 2:52:13 PM1/21/08
to versap...@googlegroups.com
On 21/01/2008, Andrei Thorp <and...@versabanq.com> wrote:
> I'm thinking that if we end up with a few config, we might consider
> writing an "Installation" script of some sort to place the configs in
> the various places they go, perhaps with some user interaction. This
> would somewhat solve the SVN issue, as well as lay down some
> infrastructure for, well, installation. Another reason I say "write a
> script" is because the information would probably be duplicated amongst
> several files and it would be easier for the person setting it up to
> only have to type the info in once.

Normally this is done in a toplevel "make install" step. We should
certainly add one of these, although the fact that we rely on an
experimental version of wvstreams complicates things a bit. Probably
we should statically link wvdbusd with wvstreams for now, making this
problem go away.

Usually the paths that we install to are set at ./configure time (see
the --prefix option).

Of course in Windows, the concept of "installing" a program is totally
different. We should use the registry instead of ini files, and so
on. I might look into this myself later. I'm still not sure whether
it would be better to use something like NSIS for this
(http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page) or AmScheduleExpress style
self-installation
(http://www.advogato.org/person/apenwarr/diary/328.html).

Have fun,