Versabox sarge stuck at 'Starting rc 2...'

William Lachance

Nov 16, 2007, 9:28:43 AM11/16/07
to vers...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I was playing with versabox-sarge a bit today. The installation went
great, but the versabox itself doesn't seem to get past the init stage.
It seems like the /etc/init.d/rc process is stuck.

I see this in webconfig:

"Debian (Sarge) - Versabox 0.2.0 BETA: Starting rc 2..."

After doing some investigation, I find that it's the stty process that's
giving us grief. Specifically, this process that rc launches seems to be
stuck:

stty onlcr 0>&1

Strace output of said process looks like this:

ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP or TCSETSW, {B38400 opost isig icanon
echo ...}) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
--- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
--- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP or TCSETSW, {B38400 opost isig icanon
echo ...}) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
--- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
--- SIGTTOU (Stopped (, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = ?
ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)

Any thoughts? Why would only I encounter this problem?

--
William Lachance <wrl...@gmail.com>

signature.asc

William Lachance

Nov 16, 2007, 10:24:00 AM11/16/07
to vers...@googlegroups.com

Update: I just rebooted my system, and the sarge Versabox came up just
fine. Weird.

--
William Lachance <wrl...@gmail.com>

signature.asc

Avery Pennarun

Nov 16, 2007, 12:22:55 PM11/16/07
to vers...@googlegroups.com
On 16/11/2007, William Lachance <wrl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Update: I just rebooted my system, and the sarge Versabox came up just
> fine. Weird.

Darn, I was hoping it would be reproducible, and thus that I could
claim it might be something introduced by a newer version of Nitix.

> > Strace output of said process looks like this:
> >
> > ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP or TCSETSW, {B38400 opost isig icanon
> > echo ...}) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
> > --- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
> > --- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
> > ioctl(0, SNDCTL_TMR_STOP or TCSETSW, {B38400 opost isig icanon
> > echo ...}) = ? ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)
> > --- SIGTTOU (Stopped (tty output)) @ 0 (0) ---
> > --- SIGTTOU (Stopped (, {B38400 opost isig icanon echo ...}) = ?
> > ERESTARTSYS (To be restarted)

Do you mean that you see the above over and over repeatedly (how long
between calls?), or have you managed to strace it during the actual
startup process?

If it's doing it over and over repeatedly, that sounds like a really
weird kernel bug - ERESTARTSYS might happen sometimes, but it should
be very rare. It's basically the motivating idea behind the infamous
"Worse is Better" article:
http://www.jwz.org/doc/worse-is-better.html. If it happens in an
endless loop, the kernel is acting very weirdly. Userspace is doing
exactly what it's supposed to do by simply calling the system call
over and over.

Anyway, unfortunately if it's not reproducible, it's going to be very
hard to debug.

Have fun,

Avery