Anyone have Centos5 running in a VersaBox?

Trever Miller

Jan 10, 2009, 4:09:48 PM1/10/09
to Versabox
Unlikely I know, but I would like to ask this so-quiet-it-may-as-well-
be-dead forum if there is a CentOS5 version of VersaBox?

I could probably build one if I had copious free time; just looking to
avoid duplication of effort.

Could I just install VersaBox Debian Sarge and then whack out most of
the stuff under /home/whateveruser/Files/filesystem/ (except for
TWISTER) and go to town?

Avery Pennarun

Jan 10, 2009, 4:29:52 PM1/10/09
to vers...@googlegroups.com
As it happens, I was about half done such a thing a few months ago,
but got sidetracked when I ended up doing it with Debian after all.

The process is pretty much as you describe. If you get it working, it
would be awesome if you put the tarball somewhere for other people to
try. Similarly, if you run into any problems, there might be people
here who can help you out - me, at least.

Good luck!

Avery

Trever Miller

Jan 10, 2009, 7:50:17 PM1/10/09
to Versabox
Okay, down the rabbit hole I go.

I've never used Debian before, so it's a whole other world to my
Solaris + RedHat/CentOS background.

Discovering the packaging mechanisms and how to twiddle them has taken
the most time thus far.

Installed VersaBox 0.20 Sarge
Pointed it to the Etch repository
Updated to Etch
Installed GCC and friends

Found a tool for Debian which creates CentOS / Fedora chroot envs

http://www.xen-tools.org/software/rinse/

Installed stuffs to make that happy...

Generating CentOS 5.2 chroot env now.

I am sure to get stuck when it comes to rolling that back up into a
versabox zip file but when I get there I'll holler.

I am keeping more detailed notes than above as well, and when I have a
repeatable process and the final product, I'll have a wiki entry for
you.

Trever Miller

Jan 10, 2009, 8:12:23 PM1/10/09
to Versabox

I have a chroot debian sarge hosting a chroot centos 5.2 now. Wheels
within wheels.

OK, time for supper and a movie and then I'll take a stab at figuring
out the versabox packaging.