Re: Grant opportunity due Apr 12

Susan De Vos

Apr 2, 2010, 1:15:25 PM4/2/10
to Jo Kelley, jwl...@gmail.com, selenap...@gmail.com, Bill McCarthy, Carol Poole, Connie Roderi, Donna Sarafin, Florenzo Cribbs, Gigi Miller, Jeffrey Glazer, Joann Kelley, Kim Zinski, Mary Mullen, Mike Marty, Nathan Franklin, ONISIM DORNEANU, Peter Schmitt, Sina Davis, Solare O'Brien, Ted Collins, verona-road-ju...@googlegroups.com, Susan De Vos
Some grants only fund capital costs, not operating costs. The kind of activity that Maria seems to be suggesting would be an operating cost.  It is worth checking out the Evjue Foundation because I think it does not fund operating costs.  Writing a proposal to them could be spending precious time fruitlessly.

UW's Memorial Library has a lot of information about grants (not that I have been successful with my attempts) that might be worth checking out -- http://grants.library.wisc.edu/ .  I think Target has something too, and, given that it has a new store in Fitchburg, might be interested in a local issue such as yours.

You might also consider avenues that would require a fiscal sponsor.  MABA has 501(c)(3) status and could fill that role.  I do not know whether MEJO does or not.

Susan

p.s.  Please consider becoming part of the Google listserv that Jim Lyme has so graciously established.  It is much more than a list of email addresses that inevitably omits someone important.   It archives all the various email so you can refer to something sent earlier, it can list events, it makes permanently available for download or reading important documents and much more, including, I think, a web page.  (Jim knows about such things much better than I.)

Jo Kelley wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Maria Powell, who gave the Health Impact talk, is offering to write a grant for MEJO to help us educate and organize around the Verona Rd issue.  There would also be neighborhood capacity building that would help us with anything we want to accomplish in the neighborhood. The application is DUE April 12.  Is there any reason for us not to work with Maria on the appliation?  If we go for it, I'm willing to spend some time with her.  Anyone else?  Could we meet with Maria on Thurs, April 8 at 6:30?

 During her talk she mentioned us doing community-based monitoring of environmental impacts on the air, marsh, etc.  She is also willing to write grants in the near future to help us do this kind of monitoring.