APRS with iPhone

David Todd

Jul 24, 2021, 7:44:05 PM7/24/21
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
I have been struggling to get the 7500 configured to beacon using my iPhone to configure the radio.  I have a BH-78 gps Bluetooth mic as well.  I can get it to transmit the beacon, but I am unable to decode it on another radio.  Has anyone else been successful using the iPhone?  Any help would be appreciated.

Josh Greer

Jul 24, 2021, 7:46:24 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the "Use APRS Format" option selected under the settings? If not it will transmit something that's not traditional ax.25 packet.

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

David Todd

Jul 24, 2021, 7:48:12 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Every time I select it it takes me to the APRS config page.  It won’t stay selected to on.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 24, 2021, at 7:46 PM, Josh Greer <josh....@gmail.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/Veron7500/CALE3uJdBwX8t33csDEdXx79Tv3_UGtZAXgGGwMsfawHSdgJNKg%40mail.gmail.com.

David Todd

Josh Greer

Jul 24, 2021, 8:01:21 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
I'm using android. I also just paired an iPad with it, but the app is very limited. I can't find all the settings in order to make it work correctly and there doesn't seem to be a way to view/send messages with the iOS version on the iPad. I've heard the iOS version was pretty terrible.

David Todd

Jul 24, 2021, 8:04:26 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Yea, absolutely.  Good thing is I didn’t really buy it for the APRS…..but I enjoy a challenge!  Question for you.  If I configure it (APRS) with an Android device you think I can then use it stand-alone?  I suspect not, but it would be nice for sure.  Thanks…..

Sent from my iPad

Josh Greer

Jul 24, 2021, 8:14:53 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
It might work with your fancy bhm-78 wireless mic attached, I've not tried it. But mine requires my phone to be within range to send and decode packets. I'm guessing everything except FM voice is handled by the extra device attached.

You might find a cheap android phone to use specifically with it. I'm hoping they do improve the iOS app, but it looks like they are focusing on developing for android at the moment.

So far I use mine as an APRS tracker while I also monitor local repeaters in my truck. It works very well with my phone.

Right now my main issue with APRS is that in order to decode packets, you have to hear the packet coming in. I'm hoping the new version of the app allows muting the APRS frequency.

David Todd

Jul 24, 2021, 8:20:29 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
I hear you.  The mic/radio receive the packet and I can see what station it is from, but I have yet to figure out if the packet can decode/display the message.  I have thought about trying to locate a cheap Android phone, but truth is APRS on the 7500 isn’t that important right now.  It looks to be perfect for what I purchased it for…..a simple dual-band for use in the backpack.  Thanks a bunch for looking into it for me!

Sent from my iPad

Josh Greer

Jul 24, 2021, 8:26:38 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
If you need to experiment with things let me know, you're just down the road after all.

--
Joshua Greer
KM4AZW

David Todd

Jul 24, 2021, 8:29:44 PM7/24/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Sounds cool….I really appreciate it.  I suspect the 7500 will be my ongoing project for the remainder of the summer.  I might get back to you to see about configuring with your phone once.  Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad

Kevin Werner

Jul 29, 2021, 9:52:59 AM7/29/21
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
I think that APRS setting will start working if you enter the APRS passcode.  I'm about 50% sure that is when mine activated (-:  You can find your passcode here... http://n5dux.com/ham/aprs-passcode/

I hope VGC redesigns the settings and app to separate APRS from their other network and location sharing modes.  I'm not interested in the other stuff.  I just want APRS over RF for now.

Kevin Werner

Jul 29, 2021, 9:59:14 AM7/29/21
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
I did some experimenting last weekend.  With phone connected it was sending my location.  I disconnected the phone and the location stopped updating.   I was observing the 7500 beacons on my FT3D screen.  Later when I turned on the BHM78 the location started updating again.

Marnoch Standen

Jul 29, 2021, 10:25:35 AM7/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Hi Both

Good to see some testing.

Yes your correct the radio will TX the location if the phone is connected or you use a BHM-78 LCD screen microphone which contains a GPS and will BT the position to the radio.

I believe that the developers are restricted by Apple.

Sending message packets has an  issue at the moment the radio keeps sending them to the station as it doesn’t see and recognise any acknowledgements. Tis has been sent to the developers.

They have been asked to fit a mute to APRS and their looking at it.

I have reported a bug that the Android app can TX APRS on the wrong channel, not good if your using a repeater.

If they can make some minor changes that will improve the radio.

Min G0JMS

David Todd

Jul 29, 2021, 2:52:45 PM7/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Min, Kevin, & Josh,

No idea why, but it seems the password I originally got was bad (no idea why).  Once I again entered my call for a password and entered it into the app, it acknowledged it as being correct and I was able to turn on “Use APRS format”.  It is now working perfectly…including using the BH-78 for GPS.  I am a “happy camper”.  Thanks to all for your help!

David, N4OLD

Sent from my iPad

Marnoch Standen

Jul 29, 2021, 4:13:43 PM7/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Glad your now camping with a smile.
Another test tomorrow just with RF and see if it mess up with the other channels.

Min Standen G0JMS