Reverse Engineering the apk

Kris Gainsforth

Dec 29, 2023, 11:22:43 AM12/29/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Before I go in and start to unpack the apk and poke around, I just wanted to make sure I haven't duplicated efforts. Does anyone here know of or has started to reverse engineer the app?

Lou Scalpati

Dec 29, 2023, 1:46:29 PM12/29/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
I have not seen anything, but please post your results.  I have had sniffing out the bluetooth protocol on my list but have not gotten to it yet.

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

Kris Gainsforth

Jan 3, 2024, 12:49:20 PMJan 3
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
I'm going to unpack the last apk this week and take a look around. I'm not much of an Android dev, but hopefully I can figure out a few things.

Joshua Mesilane

Jan 3, 2024, 1:17:25 PMJan 3
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
The radio uses BLE technology to read and write from various status and control registers, in order to get data to/from the phone.

The radio also uses a “reverse headset” Bluetooth device profile that uses the phone as a Bluetooth headset (only supported on Android) to get audio to/from the device for attaching to network channels, SSTV decoding, etc.

The problem with reverse engineering the app is that the manufacturer is still actively developing the platform. That means as newer versions of the app are released and newer firmware releases are made, the registers and control protocols change.

A few have looked into it but the platform is a moving target right now.

Sent from my iPhone

On 4 Jan 2024, at 4:49 am, Kris Gainsforth <kri...@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm going to unpack the last apk this week and take a look around. I'm not much of an Android dev, but hopefully I can figure out a few things.

Kris Gainsforth

Mar 2, 2024, 1:34:23 AMMar 2
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
That's what I'm seeing as well. The latest updates are messing with GUI stuff too. I'm gonna hold off but I am going to figure out import and export of channels.