APRS settings to share location

John Kristian

Aug 4, 2020, 3:41:35 AM8/4/20
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
In the Android HT app, the APRS settings page (attached) has several on/off controls. What do each of these do?
  • IGate Service
  • Radio to Internet
  • Internet to Radio
  • Receive messages via Internet
  • Auto share location over internet
Which ones should I set to periodically send my position via ham radio, so a nearby iGate can receive it and forward it to the APRS-IS?

Can the Android device periodically send my position to the APRS-IS without using ham radio? (For example via WiFi or 4G mobile internet.) Which on/off controls should I set to do this?

Can I enable any combination of these two transmission paths? For example, can I send my position over ham radio but not other means? Or send it via WiFi but not ham radio?
APRS settings.jpg

Marnoch Standen

Aug 4, 2020, 5:22:10 AM8/4/20
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Hi John

I have sent a direct email on the questions.

Min G0JMS

John Kristian

Aug 5, 2020, 4:34:40 AM8/5/20
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
To periodically send my position via ham radio, I use three pages in the Android app (version 1.4.4.0):
  • In an "Edit channel" page, set the title to "APRS", set the frequency and don't "Disable TX". (In North America, the frequency is 144.39 MHz.)
  • In the radio "General Settings" page, set "Automatically share location" to the APRS channel.
  • In the radio "HT" page, set "Radio sharing" to the desired interval (not "off") and set "Use APRS format" to "on".
A nearby IGate receives my position from ham radio and forwards it to the APRS-IS.

To periodically send my position to the APRS-IS without using ham radio, I use the "APRS settings" page. I set "IGate Service", "Radio to Internet" and "Auto share location over internet" all "on". All three must be "on", I find. (I don't know what these controls do individually.) Sending to APRS-IS works when the radio is shut down or disconnected from power. I guess the Android device sends to APRS-IS via WiFi or 4G mobile internet. A more accurate title for this page would be "APRS-IS settings."

I can enable either or both of these two transmission paths, independently. The controls in the "APRS settings" page don't affect sending my position via ham radio. The controls in the radio "General Settings" and radio "HT" pages don't affect sending my position directly to APRS-IS.

Screenshots of these pages are attached. Here's how to navigate to them, starting from the map (shown first when you open the app):
  • To find "APRS settings", tap the three dots at the top (to the right of the magnifying glass), then tap "Settings", then "APRS settings".
  • To find "Edit channel", tap the three dots at the top (to the right of the magnifying glass), then tap "Settings", then "Region manager", then a region or "New", then one of the items in the list.
  • To find the radio "General Settings", tap the three horizontal bars at the top left, connect to the radio if necessary, tap the gear icon (at the top near the right) and tap "General Settings".
  • To find "HT", tap the three horizontal bars at the top left, connect to the radio if necessary and tap the face (or face silhouette icon) in the top left corner.
Setting the radio for dual channel mode doesn't affect sending my position over ham radio. Min G0JMS warned that dual channel mode could cause sending APRS packets on the wrong channel, but I haven't observed this.

I use channel 16 in every region as the APRS channel. So, I need not change APRS-related settings when I change the active region.

I haven't registered with Vero, I don't sign in and I don't use network channels.
General settings.jpg
Edit channel.jpg
HT.jpg
APRS settings.jpg

Andries Heitman

Aug 5, 2020, 4:41:32 AM8/5/20
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Last saturday I had a problem with aprs over internet, settings all done, not visable on aprs.fi and aprsdirect.
Didn't work until i installed HT app out the playstore witch upgraded to 1.4.4.17.
Description says update for german aprs problem, also for the Netherlands..
So as a tip..

73 Andries PE1PIX

mi...@talktalk.net

Aug 5, 2020, 6:27:36 AM8/5/20
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Hi thanks

The upgrade was to deal with a language translation the web didn't like.
Thanks for the confirmation that it works now.

Min Standen G0JMS.

Marnoch Standen

Aug 5, 2020, 4:25:18 PM8/5/20
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Hi John

Welcome to reverse engineering of application and it’s operation with the radio.

The documents are there for help and nothing to do with the Vero company and there may be mistakes or errors which I may have missed. My version was written from the UK and European prospective and I would assume others would understand that.

The fun is finding the HT page….. press on the image section is my way as you have said.

Your correct the Android sends the signal via wifi or phone network…..if you turn the phone off the radio can still tx its last position via RF as it uses the phone GPS.

The point of APRS coming out on other channels may have been resolved with the latest version as I have not had time to recheck this.

There are some good points and it you wish to put together an update please go ahead.

Thanks for good input.

Min G0JMS

John Kristian

Aug 29, 2020, 7:30:25 PM8/29/20
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Is there a document in Drive that you would recommend to help a new user send APRS position reports? There are eight files that say something about APRS. I wonder which (if any) is the best for a new APRS user.

I'm willing to propose an update to such a document. What form would be convenient for the purpose? A message in this Google Group? A PDF file?

By the way, it would be nice to move obsolete files out of that folder, perhaps into a sub-folder.

Marnoch Standen

Aug 30, 2020, 6:53:57 AM8/30/20
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Hi John

Yes the thought of sorting the files into groups would be best as I have put reports and help documents into the bundle….

I would not want to deal with the total topic of APRS as there is minefield of info on the web, but I feel it would be best to keep it simple and a guide just to the N7500 and how it works.

My testing has been to comments of APRS not reaching some receiving stations, the iGate use, RF only and RF & iGate together.

I did a test last week on the bike and found using iGate and RF worked well…

Min G0JMS