APRS Message to unlisted station/ call sign

Kevin Werner

Aug 29, 2021, 3:20:31 PM8/29/21
to vero...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to send an APRS message by typing a call sign in?  Using Android and don’t see a way to send a new message.

I go to menu tools aprs, then we have two screens. One lists the existing Messages(actually beacons that aren’t sent to specific stations?). And then Map shows stations around me and I can tap one to send a message.

For example if I want to send an APRS Message to SMSGTE or WXBOT, there isn’t any way that I can see. Apologies if I overlooked this in the documents

I like how my Yaesu HT has a StationList to show “beacons” “broadcast” and received from all the stations near me, and separate MessageList to show APRS messages to/from me.

 I would like a APRS MessageList added to VRN7500 to show to from me and allow new message to call sign I type in.

Thank you
Kevin KD9SPR

Marnoch Standen

Aug 29, 2021, 3:50:19 PM8/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Hi
APRS is not as Yaesu or Kenwood do it for a radio 2-3 times the price. The d signers are aware of the issues pointed out and they do react and improved the recent update.

Yes you can send messages to a call but any acknowledgement is ignored so Vero keeps sending.  Same I'd you send it a message it's doesn't send acknowledgement.

 Never tried SMSGTE or WXBOT.

The recent update resolved the issue of muting the channel and the problem of sending APRS down the channel incorrectly. Not good for the local repeater.

If you look at the messages heard you type in the call sign and send.

Min Standen G0JMS
07917 830 410

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

Josh Greer

Aug 29, 2021, 4:41:05 PM8/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
I just tested it and was able to message WXBOT and get a response. Also it seems my setup picks up the ACK and stops sending. If you go to the MESSAGE tab, you can type "WXBOT: current" and it should send you the current conditions in your area. I've also successfully sent emails and sms messages to myself without issue. I did get the mute option added with the last update, however it doesn't actually save that setting which is a little disappointing. Hopefully that will be coming soon. As a side note, I would also like a reverse frequency button instead of talk around.
I'm using Android version 1.5.0.1 on a Galaxy S20.

--
Joshua Greer
KM4AZW

Marnoch Standen

Aug 29, 2021, 5:04:33 PM8/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Hi
I have been Beta testing a new version and the mute will work and lock/save as I have tested it in the shack and mobile.  I hope it will be released soon.

 Good on the reply and I'll check the acknowledgement status and the other bits you mentioned.

Thanks 👍

Min Standen G0JMS

Josh Greer

Aug 29, 2021, 9:48:26 PM8/29/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
I just tried the beta version also and can confirm mute works great!

--
Joshua Greer
KM4AZW

Marnoch Standen

Aug 30, 2021, 4:00:05 AM8/30/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for letting us know.

Min Standen G0JMS

Kevin KD9SPR

Aug 30, 2021, 9:11:51 AM8/30/21
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band

I was able to send to SMSGTE and WXBOT as noted. Thank you!  I thought that screen was for the “proprietary “ VRN message/group/team system. Kind of confusing to have APRS go out there and on the APRS screen. I would like to totally disable the VRN system and use only APRS messages.

Next APRS question, how do I adjust the digipath(for use with satellites)?

Thanks again!

Josh Greer

Aug 30, 2021, 10:05:17 AM8/30/21
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, I don't think the app includes a custom path option yet.

--
Joshua Greer
KM4AZW