Installed on motorcycle?

John Stadtfeld

Apr 26, 2023, 10:37:28 PM4/26/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Has anyone installed this unit on a motorcycle, paired to, say, a bluetooth helmet?

Just curious how it might work out.   Considering adding to my bike.

Ed Slabinski

Apr 26, 2023, 10:42:56 PM4/26/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
You would need to pair the 7500 with your phone and your helmet as a headset to the phone. With the optional PTT button mounted on the handlebars I imagine it would work quite well. I enjoy mine, but it's installed in a car.

Not sure about it's IP rating though. So mounting might be an issue.

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

John Kristian

Apr 27, 2023, 1:04:54 AM4/27/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Yes. The radio works great. I've used it successfully with a Sena 20S and a Sena 50S. The Bluetooth Speaker Mic works well, too.

The Bluetooth PTT button was useless. I threw it out and ran a wire from the radio to a pushbutton on my left grip.

See also the article "VGC VR-N7500 on a Harley Electra Glide" in the Tech Center of the Motorcycling Amateur Radio Club. The Tech Center has other articles on motorcycle installation, and club members (including me) are happy to help you.

Marnoch Standen

Apr 27, 2023, 7:48:15 AM4/27/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Hi All

Good to see that the radio is being used motorcycle mobile and I took it one further step and tried to connect via the GPS system (Garmin XT & 590) this is where it got interesting and problems of Bluetooth interconnection started.

I wanted GPS for routing with instructions to the Senna BT headset, plus music from GPS and the phone. This was Ok till I added the Vero N7500 and I wanted one system.

I got some funning looks from my wife as she caught me sat in the radio shack trying to get it all to work on the bench after trying it on the bike and failing… radio shack was more comfortable.

Looking at the way the GPS and its BT operation works the GPS is the master and switches channels for inputs and the output to the BT headset or phone.

It seemed to work in the shack until I put everything on the bike and it went wrong…. After hours and days of trying to resolve by changing BT connections I gave up and bought an Autocom bike system that resolved everything and gave the option of passenger comms should I ever need that.

The Autocom SPA system controls inputs and outputs using its own BT unit, has a manual PPT or Vox operation.   https://autocom.co.uk/

I found the Vero BT PTT funny (Pain) to use, up till they changed the firmware to a click on and click off option, but still prefer the manual PTT, as who wants to hear my cough, sneeze or comment about other road users.

The unit is in the bike top box, put up with bumps and items stored on top, set mainly for APRS. Below is part of a ride I did using RF beaconing.

The N7500 can be wired via the RJ45 microphone plug and also audio can be taken from the rear speaker plug.

The VGC (Vero) N7500 is good as a standalone BT headset system and rough enough to take the conditions of being loos in a top box and I have been surprised as the operation and power, contacting repeaters of a good distance. In 2022 we did a circuit of Ireland doing the WAW plus cover the coast of the N & S of Ireland and radio didn’t fail, giving good APRS positioning. The radio will take small splashes of water but never tried a soaking that we got. (Ever stood in a café and had your own pond around you  J where the rain just ran out of you).

I did a set of instructions and documents on the radio in the Google Groups and your welcome to add to that or view them.

Link below will give you access to view – due to strange erasures I had to restrict access but happy to add documents.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1etbQ6ZRa5cR6U1zt7a8RcmRQOyzaroqZ?usp=sharing

These were my finding and testing of the VGC VERO N7500 and other items in their range.  Files and documents similar to those on FB groups.

Min Standen G0JMS

--

You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com
---

image002.png

John Stadtfeld