BHM-78 Talking A Long Time To Acquire GPS

Ron Startzel

Oct 11, 2023, 10:16:42 AM10/11/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Greetings,

I have been using the VGC VR-N7500 since early July and have learned a lot from this group and the documentation section.  I searched and didn't find my issue so hopefully I didn't miss a previous post or something in the document area.

The issue I am having started approximately a week or two ago; it is taking a very long time to acquire a GPS position signal.  The BHM-78 used to acquire a signal in few minutes, not it can sit in my vehicle, connected to the N7500 for 24 hours and never acquire a signal, or will lose the previously acquired signal.

I have moved the BHM out of the vehicle and held it in my hand with the "GPS" pointing up for over 10 minutes and left it sitting on a table near the vehicle as well and nothing changes, no signal acquisition.  It used to be able to acquire a GPS signal in a short period of time sitting in my cupholder. In over 24 hours while outside with an unobstructed view of the sky, and connected to the N7500, it has yet to acquire a GPS signal.

Has anyone else seen this or could I have possibly accidentally changed something in the BHM?

Thanks in advance,

Ron
KB5LNC

Ron Startzel

Oct 11, 2023, 10:21:10 AM10/11/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
GPS is set to BDS + GPS

sirrosh69

Oct 11, 2023, 2:07:16 PM10/11/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
Hi,

it does not have to be connected to acquire GPS position. My BHM-78 mic took very long to get the position for the first time, but since then it takes just under a minute. Check a SW update just to be sure...

Marnoch Standen

Oct 11, 2023, 2:36:22 PM10/11/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Any gps has to have a clear sky and starting from cold it can take several minutes.
I could not get mine to lock on indoors today against the window but it quickly locked on in the open.

You need to look at the orbits and see if your covered by the satellites as they are a Chinese gps system...

This was ithe the BHM-78 on its own.

Min G0JMS 👍

Min Standen G0JMS
07917 830 410

--
You can reply in normal email or send via normal email by using
vero...@googlegroups.com

Ron Startzel

Oct 11, 2023, 9:30:54 PM10/11/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Thanks everyone.  I guess in today's world you assume gps is going to work all the time.  Never even considered that it could be the lack of Chinese gps satellites which wouldn't allow for a lock over several hours.

It finally did lock onto a signal.

Any idea how to know which satellites it tracks and how to tell if they are in the visible sky at my location?

Ron

Marnoch Standen

Oct 12, 2023, 7:37:52 AM10/12/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

sirrosh69

Oct 14, 2023, 12:59:53 PM10/14/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band
I confirm this issue: sometimes BHM-78 stucks on acquiring position after loosing it (due to being inside the building, etc) even if you keep it turned on all time.
Furthermore, after you turn off BHM-78 the radio continues to transmit periodically something  like it continues to send APRS positions. But nothing appears on map. Will further investigate the issue (and no, app is not connected to the radio).
That sucks(((

Marnoch Standen

Oct 15, 2023, 7:42:08 AM10/15/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com

Can I confirm I don’t think there is no issue with the BHM-78 not working within a building as it need a clear sky and not a building surrounding it.

You need to understand how the radio works and aprs.

The Radio will still continue to broadcast its LAST position via RF even when the Phone or BHM-78 is disconnected or loses it connection.

When the BHM-78 is connected it will only sent the position via RF.

If you have a phone connected the app can do RF and internet positioning. Turning off the phone (flat battery) the radio will still send out its last received location via RF only.

If you are looking at location on www.aprs.fi and you are using RF only then it requires a gateway to receive the signal telling the network where you have beaconed from. If you using the phone app then you have web and RF options.  I would suggest you look at the RAW data in www.aprs.fi for your station as they might help.

I don’t think the app sucks but its user operation and their expectations.

This is the information I have gathered since using the radio and app, I trust it helps you and can save you time and effort in finding out how it works.

Min G0JMS

sirrosh69

Oct 15, 2023, 1:59:10 PM10/15/23
to Vero VR N7500 Dual Radio Band

Thank you for your message, although questioning the competence of a fellow ham you know absolutely nothing about is not a good practice, generally.

Marnoch Standen

Oct 15, 2023, 2:21:47 PM10/15/23
to Vero...@googlegroups.com
Don't catch your fingers in the door as you close it...

Min Standen G0JMS