VOTE Today, Conservation Congress Climate Change Resolution

Vernon County Energy Discussion

Apr 12, 2021, 11:28:22 AM4/12/21
to Vernon County Energy Discussion
Good morning everyone,

I wanted to alert you to a great opportunity to take action on climate change (and many other issues of interest) in Wisconsin. Attached you will find a full explanation of this opportunity. The following message from local climate change organizer, Tom Wilson, summarizes why it's so important to act on this. Click the link below to vote, starting tonight at 7 pm!

Climate change is real and a serious threat to Wisconsin and our planet, affecting farming, winter sports, our health, wildlife, forests, and the economy.

The Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act HR 2307 was just introduced into the House of Representatives and already has 28 cosponsors. This bill requires energy companies to pay a steadily rising fee on fossil fuels like coal, oil, and natural gas. This will reduce carbon pollution and stimulate conservation, technological innovation, clean energy, jobs and economic growth because energy companies, leading industries, and American consumers will move toward cleaner, cheaper options.

The fees collected are to be directly distributed to all American households to spend any way they choose. This will protect our most vulnerable with most Americans receiving more in dividends than their increased energy costs. Fuel used on farms and by the military would be exempt from fees. To protect U.S. manufacturers and jobs and encourage other nations to adopt similar policies, imported goods would pay a border carbon adjustment and goods exported from the United States would receive a refund under this policy

Wisconsin residents can voice their support for this most-promising piece of national legislation at the upcoming Wisconsin Conservation Congress and DNR annual Spring Hearings. Online voting can be made at: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/about/wcc/springhearing  any time from 7:00 p.m. on Monday April 12, until 7:00 p.m.on Thursday.

The Conservation Congress Spring hearings are grass-roots democracy at its best. You can share your vote from the comfort of your computer desk with no pre-registration required. The issues considered are critical to the health and productivity of our environment and natural resources including the crisis facing the future of life on this planet as we know it.

Conservation Congress Action Alert .docx