Mqtt v5 support

Sushant Sharma

May 13, 2021, 7:49:33 PM5/13/21
to vernemq-users
Hi,
The github readme says that "VerneMQ implements the MQTT 3.1, 3.1.1 and 5.0 specifications." and the getting started guide (https://vernemq.com/intro/mqtt-primer/mqtt5_getting_started.html) says:
"Starting with VerneMQ 1.6 MQTT 5.0 is included and fully supported by default.
The MQTT 5.0 support in VerneMQ is in BETA until we've had enough feedback and are confident we've gotten the details right. We'll be grateful for any kind of feedback, so please don't hesitate to get in touch with us."

The above statements are a bit confusing.
Is complete MQTT 5.0 spec supported by default with VerneMQ 1.6 or is it still in Beta?
If not, when is it estimated to be GA?

When are the plugins like `vmq_bridge` expected to support v5 spec?

Thanks
Sushant

André Fatton

May 14, 2021, 2:01:47 AM5/14/21
to vernemq-users
Hi Sushant,

Thanks, MQTT 5.0 is GA, you found outdated information which I'll fix.
I observed rather low interest for MQTT 5.0 bridging so there's no effort right for an internal MQTT 5.0 client (needed for the bridge). Happy to think about this, though.
Note that the existing bridge will deliver v5 messages too, but will obviously strip user set properties.

Hope this helps,
Cheers,
André

sushant sharma

May 14, 2021, 3:02:31 AM5/14/21
to André Fatton, vernemq-users
Thanks Andre
Few more questions related and unrelated to v5:
  1. Which release version was the GA version for mqtt v5?
  2. Will 'user properties dropped' be the only missing piece in v5 messages over the existing bridging?
  3. For the existing mqtt bridge functionality, is there support for secondary fallback addresses and round robin approach like it is there in mouquette?
  4. Is vernemq supported on Windows? Is it tested on windows?
  5. I did not find good documentation around High availability clustering with vernemq. Can you point me to helpful documents and/or blogs?
Your help is much appreciated.