VSP Update

plumb....@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2012, 9:40:03 AM2/3/12
to VSP Email List
This really is a neat short video.
We've embedded a short new video animation in...
Joe Bish 10:44am Jan 31
We've embedded a short new video animation in our website. Click to check it out. Use it to get the word out about GPSO. Share it, tweet it, forward it. Thanks!
http://www.populationspeakout.org/pledges

I had the below letter published in this week’s edition of the Montpelier Bridge and have sent it out to the other papers in the state as well.

Please remember if you do a reply it goes to everyone. To reply just to me you must copy and paste in my email.

Thanks to media attention most people are probably now aware that last year the earth’s population crossed the 7 billion mark. It took only 12 years to increase from 6 billion in 1999 and only 12 years before that to increase from 5 billion in 1987. Compare that with the length of time it took for the human population to jump from 1 billion in 1804 to 2 billion in 1927 (123 years) and you’ll see that we are experiencing a period of rapid population growth like the world has never seen. The U.S. and Vermont also reached record population levels.

Some people have also become aware that population growth is the root cause of most if not all of our environmental problems from air pollution to the sixth great extinction of species. What most people are probably not aware of is that rising population growth also results in increased suffering of animal species.

Much of this suffering results from the cruelty of factory farming.  There is a direct correlation between factory farming and population growth. Factory farming has enabled the population to grow so dramatically and ever increasing population growth requires even more factory farms. It is cruel and inhumane to grow thousands of chickens in long lines of stacked, tiny cubicles where they can barely move or even in “free range” sheds where they actually never experience the out-of-doors. It’s worse for calves whose movements are extremely limited in order to produce veal or who are tied to little sheds. Vermont is no exception as most of our food now comes from factory farms. Even most of our dairy farms are now in reality factory farms where hundreds of cows live their entire lives crowded under a roof, wandering about in their own excrement, and never enjoying the pastures where they are meant to be.

Even in the wild, animal life is in trouble. The tiger is disappearing; there are now fewer tigers in the wild than are in captivity! In the U.S. we lose acreage the equivalent of 4 ½ Rhode Islands every year to development caused by population growth which is resulting in loss of habitat for many species.

Readers, please ask yourselves, “Can you think of any problem on any scale, from microscopic to global, whose long-term solution is in any way aided, assisted or advanced by having larger populations at the local, state, national or global level? Can you think of anything that will get better if we crowd more people into our towns, cities, nations or world?

How many people are enough?”

George Plumb

Washington, Vt.

George is a member of the Vermont Chapter of the Buddhist Peace Fellowship which believes that all sentient beings should be free of suffering.

plumb....@gmail.com

plumb....@gmail.com

Feb 9, 2012, 10:07:48 AM2/9/12
to VSP Email List
Some good media attention during the last week with one of my letters in Seven Days and another one in the Montpelier Bridge,Times Argus, and other dailies.If any of you ever have any thoughts on how I can improve my letters please let me know.

Yesterday there was an article in vtdigger about Bill McKibben’s testimony before the Vt. Senate Natural Resources Committee. I was surprised to see that the second post was about population growth. It was by a Stephen Saltonstall. Does anyone know who he is? I also posted. See:

Last week I did a Skype power point talk to a class of Valerie Esposito’s at Champlain College.  Thanks Valerie.
This week I met with a group of students at UVM who are applying whole systems thinking to steady state economy as a project for us thanks to supporter Lance Payola who teaches the class. I gave the students a copy of the book The Population Fix: Breaking America’s Addiction to Population Growth by supporter Ed Hartman. I still have a few copies left if anyone would like one.

And speaking of books I just finished reading the just released book Man Swarm and the Killing of Wildlife by the famous environmentalist David Foreman. It is 270 pages and a great book that is full of information but easy to read as well. In the book Dave says that five threads of population growth outcomes  are hunger and starvation, squandering natural resources, landscalping and the loss of land fertility, economic and political upheaval, and harm to wild things. He emphasizes that the last one, the killing of wildlife is overlooked but very important. Being the well known leader and writer that he he is I hope that the book gains a lot of attention, at least among environmentalists. Signed copies of the book are available for $20 from the Rewilding Institute www.rewilding.org

The best,

George
True sustainability will only be achieved with population stabilization.
www.vspop.org
http://groups.google.com/group/vermonters-for-sustainable-population

Phil Dodd

Feb 9, 2012, 11:01:44 AM2/9/12
to vermonters-for-sus...@googlegroups.com
There is an attorney in Manchester, VT named Stephen Saltonstall. His e-mail
is ssalto...@gmail.com

Phil

plumb....@gmail.com

Feb 10, 2012, 10:33:24 AM2/10/12