Re: GPI for Vermont includes population indicators

John

Jun 24, 2012, 8:42:30 AM6/24/12
to vermonters-for-sus...@googlegroups.com
George - I looked at the GPI link you sent us.  It is great that you got a population indicator in there.  However, after leafing through the document I find it to be lacking in general.  It seems the group has picked items and indicators that will be hard to measure and/or yield nebulous results at best.  This will make it a hard sell to the perpetual growth advocates who love the GDP.

Maryland was the first state to adopt the GPI and their set seems to be a good balance of economic and social indicators.  Add population/carrying capacity and I think you have a good model to work from.

http://www.green.maryland.gov/mdgpi/indicators.asp

John T

The chief cause of problems
is solutions ~ Murphy