VSP Update

plumb....@gmail.com

Sep 22, 2012, 8:02:27 AM9/22/12
to VSP Email List

I have been saying in my power point presentations and in some writing that Vermont’s sustainable population size is probably about two-thirds of its current size or about 400,000.
If we extrapolated from Jack Alpert’s work it would probably be much less that that.
Jack produces some fascinating scientific videos on population size with the latest one related to energy and population.
He would appreciate your feedback on this video. He really does make adjustments based on feedback that he gets.
If you do send him any comments I would love to know what you have to say. I haven’t passed on my latest comments yet.

Jack will be attending a conference at the Gund Institute in October. Maybe some of us would like to have lunch with him?
I will let you know the details as we get closer.
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 10:35 PM
Subject: your wisdom needed II

Dear George,

Thanks for you help. There were so many good comments the video I sent three weeks ago needed a complete rebuild. A few days tuned into a few weeks but version 8 is much improved. I could still use your wisdom. Please review

                             "How Much Degrowth is Enough"

And send comments,

Jack

Here is a teaser so you can explain it to your friends. Jack has made a video about the earth's sustainable population based on energy limits.

It proposes that in 100 years after fossil or uranium fuel are exhausted. And after renewables in the absence of fossil fuel maintained infrastructure can not produce energy. , the only true energy source available, unless technology provides a new one, is hyrdo electric dams.

However, they are limited by river flow to the max energy they can provide. Pegging the energy needed per capita around 300 million BTU per person (110 100w light bulbs) and dividing that into hydro delivery, we can sustain a high tech community in North America of only ten million.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oihw5qTNF This URL is temporary. The secret button "HMDIE" at the bottom line of the front page of http://www.skil.org will bring up newer versions of the video as I complete them.

If you want your friends to see the video you can forward this email. Their comments are also welcome.

George
“Without memory, our existence would be barren and opaque,
like a prison cell into which no light penetrates; like a tomb which rejects the living.
If anything can, it is memory that will save humanity.”
Elie Wiesel, Noble Prize Laureate and Holocaust survivor
George
“Without memory, our existence would be barren and opaque,
like a prison cell into which no light penetrates; like a tomb which rejects the living.
If anything can, it is memory that will save humanity.”
Eli Wiesel, Noble Prize Laureate and Holocaust survivor