Vermont Environmental Trendes Report and other items

plumb....@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2011, 8:18:01 AM12/12/11
to VSP Email List
The below press release on our Vermont Environmental Trends: The Population Connection report went out a few days ago and is in today’s edition of vtdigger.
One of the top level staffers in ANR called it a “class act” and a key leader in the Vt. Chapter of the Sierra Club said it was a “great resource.” It is also receiving national and international attention as a model for other states and countries. It would be very helpful If you could take a couple of minutes and post a comment to counter balance the negative posts that will almost certainly appear.

I want to thank Kim Greenwood of the Vt. Natural Resources Council and James Andrews of the Vt. Reptile and Amphibian Atlas for their valuable content suggestions. Also great thanks to Dr. Arthur Westing who did a lot of editing and Phil Dodd who did the final proofing. About 80% of the report was actually written by Eric Garza PhD but because of the other 20% I wrote about population he thought it best if I was listed as the author. Thank you Eric for your excellent work.

Go to our web site to see the report and while there check out the latest commentary on “Solving the Population Problem.” I welcome your feedback on both the report and the commentary. We are all volunteers and we need your feedback!

We need some money from you. We only paid Eric $1,000 for his work but it wiped out our budget. It was worth it and I personally donated a major chunk of money to make it happen. If you haven’t already donated this year I hope that you will consider doing so. I can’t donate another large amount of money and we have ongoing expenses like paying our web  person. Please help us to keep doing our important work.

Did you watch the program on saving our birds the other night on VPT? One of the interviewees mentioned human overpopulation as a primary cause of the declining migratory bird population which I have certainly observed around here.

And I could hardly believe it when I read the environmental section of the Free Press yesterday and there was  an article by Secretary of Agriculture Chuck Ross in which he strongly talked about the challenges of feeding a swelling population. As far as I can remember he is the first state official in decades to mention population growth. In an email exchange he said that he has been concerned about population growth since the 1970’s.

Please get out your check book and help this little grass roots organization. POB 1163, Montpelier, VT 05601.

Thanks for supporting VSP.

George
True sustainability will only be achieved with population stabilization.
www.vspop.org
http://groups.google.com/group/vermonters-for-sustainable-population