VSP Update

plumb....@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2012, 4:13:24 PM2/23/12
to VSP Email List

Several good things happened this past week. Two Vermont organizations talked about our living more sustainably pledge in their newsletter, the Vt. Natural Resources Council and the Vt. Interfaith Power and Light. To the best of my memory this is the first time that VNRC has said anything about VSP and we should be deeply grateful to the new executive director Brian Shupe and their communications director Jake Brown. The other organization was Vt. Interfaith Power and Light where the director Betsy Hardy obtained the permission of the board before adding the badge and link. If you are not aware of the organization VTIPL brings together religious groups to work on dealing with global warming. Thank you Betsy.

The Green Energy Times also had our badge on page two of the paper edition and on the home page of their e edition http://www.greenenergytimes.org/ Many thanks to Nancy Rae Mallery. I’ll have to confess that I am now a 75 year old paper boy (never thought I would be this again but I love the paper) who voluntarily delivers the GET in central Vermont.

While people are not flocking to our site to take the pledge a few have and I think that just having the awareness of the concept of a morally responsible pledge is important  and of course once people go to the pledge they are made aware of the idea that population stability is also a factor in living sustainably. What the two organizations said in their newsletter is repeated below.

If you live anyplace near Burlington I hope that you will save the evening of Tuesday, March 8th to be at the Echo Museum at 6:30 to hear John Seeger, the President of Population Connection speak. I would like to also invite you to join at least a couple of us at Skinny Pancake for something to eat and conversation at 5:15. If anyone would like to carpool over from the central Vermont area contact me at plumb....@gmail.com

Here is what VNRC said:

Take the Living More Sustainably Pledge

Vermonters for a Sustainable Population (VSP), a non-profit environmental organization based in Washington, Vermont, is urging people to take a personal pledge to live more sustainably. The comprehensive, ten-point personal pledge is an effort to help people focus on ways to reduce their impact on the earth’s resources.

VSP, which emphasizes that the root cause of much of the the stress on the earth is from overpopulation, urges Vermonters to “take this pledge to do your part in reversing the ever growing environmental problems the earth now faces including global warming, pollution of land and water, loss of biodiversity, water shortages, and rampant development.

Elements of the pledge include a commitment to, as is possible and applicable, install solar power in one’s home, grow at least some of one’s own food, to be sure one’s home is well insulated, and minimize driving and air travel, and for those who have not yet had children to replace themselves only once.

Click here to read more about the pledge. You can take the pledge by clicking on an additional link on the page.

And here is what VTIPL said:

NEW ON VTIPL'S WEBSITE – LIVING SUSTAINABLY PLEDGE
Resources have been added to VTIPL's website in several places such
as sermons and statements in the “Faith-based Resources” section and
Links in the “Energy Resources” section at the end of the left-side
column. One of the links added is to the “Vermont Living More
Sustainably Pledge.” We encourage you to read this pledge. Although
it is challenging – going beyond easy lifestyle changes to more difficult
ones – it moves us farther on the path to a sustainable world. Read it
and consider taking the pledge here: http://www.vspop.org/htm/VSP-Pledge.htm

George
True sustainability will only be achieved with population stabilization.
www.vspop.org
http://groups.google.com/group/vermonters-for-sustainable-population

plumb....@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2012, 4:18:48 PM2/23/12
to VSP Email List

A couple of good things happened this past week. Two Vermont organizations talked about our living more sustainably pledge in their newsletter, the Vt. Natural Resources Council and the Vt. Interfaith Power and Light. To the best of my memory this is the first time that VNRC has said anything about VSP and we should be deeply grateful to the new executive director Brian Shupe and their communications director Jake Brown. The other organization was Vt. Interfaith Power and Light where the director Betsy Hardy obtained the permission of the board before adding the badge and link. If you are not ware of the organization VTIPL brings together religious groups to work on dealing with global warming. Thank you Betsy.

Also the badge for our pledge is on page two of the Green Energy Times paper edition and on the home page of the edition at http://www.greenenergytimes.org/  Many thanks to Nancy Rae Mallery. And I’ll have to confess that I am so supportive of GET that I am now a volunteer delivery boy at 75 for the paper.

Finally, I urge you to go to kick starter and support the funding of a proposed new film on the people problem. Read about it and contribute at: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/342263956/the-people-problem-are-there-too-many-of-us