VSP Update

plumb....@gmail.com

Jun 11, 2012, 8:47:03 AM6/11/12
to VSP Email List

A very exciting thing happened at the conference to work on the indicators that would be used to implement the Vermont Genuine Progress Indicator at the Davis Center a couple of weeks ago. I pushed strongly for dealing with the elephant in the room and the environmental sub group actually agreed to add an indicator incorporating carrying capacity and population. I was hoping that by now the total list of draft indicators would be out and I could give you the exact wording. It would have to be approved by the overall steering committee and then the legislature. As soon as I see something more definitive I will pass it on to you. At any rate the conference was excellent, very open and inclusive. And it was all put together by volunteers. About 140 people attended.

Thanks to Phil Dodd here is an article that actually mentions population as an issue!

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-0607-global-tipping-20120607,0,4125302.story

George
True sustainability will only be achieved with population stabilization.
www.vspop.org
http://groups.google.com/group/vermonters-for-sustainable-population

plumb....@gmail.com

Jun 18, 2012, 7:44:19 AM6/18/12
to VSP Email List
Yes, its there! This is a first in the nation.

The indicators for the Genuine Progress Indicator worked out at the conference are now available to view and population is one of them! This is truly a significant accomplishment to have such a group recognize that quality of life and sustainability are related to population growth.  It remains to be seen if this will hold up when the Gund Institute works out the agreement with the Shumlin administration but we certainly have some hope. If you happen to know any of the leaders from GNHUSA including Eric Zentcy, Tom Barefoot, Linda Wheatly, Lauren-Glenn Davitian, or any of the others please urge them to work to keep this indicator in. It didn’t copy well but here it is:

RESULTS SUBJECTIVE OBJECTIVE WHO RESPONSIBLE
Population living w/in carrying capacity of ecosystems
- Sense of sprawl, crowding, congestion?
- Is quality of life declining as a result of # people?
- Ecological Footprint (acres land required to maintain a lifestyle) or Happy Planet Index (well-being delivered per unit environmental impact)
- # people and population trends
ANR, Agency of Ag, Agency of Econ Dvlmpt, individuals and local communities, legislature, Dept of Health (agency human services, etc.), religious organizations

To view it better along with all the other indicators go to: