Mystery Hops Update

1 view

vtchuck

Apr 17, 2010, 8:42:15 AM4/17/10
to Vermont Hops
I attended the conference at Stowe and delivered mystery hops crowns
and some rhizomes to Heather and Rosalie.

I also cornered Jason Perrault and asked him to help identify the
dried cones from the 09 crop. He was unsure, so I gave him
a taste of an all mystery hop APA that I had brewed and smuggled into
the conference room in a growler. Several others joined in
the impromptu tasting, but the expert opinions were inconclusive,
although we were able to eliminate a number of suspects, including
Cascade and Brewers Gold.

Perhaps had I brought another growler, we might have reached
consensus.

I have since mailed a sample and some rhizomes to Jason in Washington
and he has agreed to continue to try to solve the mystery....
I tried to give him a sample to bring home from Stowe, but he was
concerned about the reaction of airport security to a baggie filled
with green leafy material in his baggage.

I'll keep the group posted on my progress. Cheers!

Don Wilson

Apr 17, 2010, 12:08:37 PM4/17/10
to vermon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the update Tom, I got the rhizomes and I think I'm going to
try and get everything in next week. Asparagus and fiddleheads are
both up, very early!
dkw