FW: Hops Course in October

VT Brewers Association

Sep 1, 2010, 7:47:57 PM9/1/10
to vermon...@googlegroups.com

Hi All,

Check out this message from Rosalie,

From: Rosalie Madden [mailto:rosalie...@uvm.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2010 2:43 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Hops Course in October

Greetings Hop Enthusiasts!

UVM Extension is proud to be a sponsor of a very exciting course offered by the Northeast Hops Alliance, coming up on October 9th and 10th in Cooperstown, NY, starring Gorst Valley Hops Educators .  Please see the attached flyer for details, and RSVP to Lindsey McDonnell, 315-684-3001 ext. 125, or lm...@cornell.edu

In the interest of carpool organization, let us know if you are coming from Vermont or Massachusetts, and perhaps we can organize a contingent from the East.

All the best,

Rosalie

Rosalie Madden
Crops and Soils Technician
UVM Extension
278 S. Main St., Suite 2
St. Albans, VT 05478
(802) 524-6501 Ext. 445
www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil

Follow us:
Follow us on YouTubeFollow us on Facebook

image001.jpg
image002.gif
October_Course_Flyer.pdf

Dan D.

Sep 2, 2010, 10:31:41 AM9/2/10
to Vermont Hops
Wow, I was coming to this group to announce this, but thanks for
beating me to it.

I'm Dan from Gorst Valley Hops (dan [at] gorstvalleyhops.com) and I
hope to see/meet all of you at the workshop(s). We had a great time
last year when the Northeast Hop Alliance had us out to FX Matt
brewing, though there was nowhere near enough room for everyone. If
you have any questions about the content, feel free to ask.

If you're not a member of the Northeast Hops Alliance, I would
encourage you to join...and not just for the discount. They are an
enthusiastic and dedicated bunch. I wish we had a similar
organization here in the midwest or even just the cohesive google
group you all maintain.

The 101 workshop really has two purposes. The first is to give the
person who is going to grow enough knowledge to get them started.
Obviously, we can't pack it all into a single day but we get enough
across to help them understand what they need to do. The other
purpose is to give enough information to those interested in growing
to decide if it is for them or not. I will admit that in the courses
we run in the midwest, almost 90% end the day by saying, "Thanks but
that's not the crop for me." They are happy because they only spent
$100 instead of $10,000.

The 201 workshop is really for those who either are growing or know
they will grow and have some agricultural experience. We go into
pretty heavy details on nutrient management, water calculation, drying
techniques, etc. Bring a calculator and your brain because you will
probably need both.

Hope to see you all in October,

Dan