American Organic Hop Grower Association Seeking Members

Matt

Jun 17, 2010, 9:10:45 PM6/17/10
to Vermont Hops
The American Organic Hop Grower Association - a 501(c)(6) non-profit
association established to promote the use of organic hops - is
looking for brewers and other industry groups to join our efforts in
promoting organic hops! Membership is open to anyone in the industry
who supports the use of organic hops in organic beer, regardless of if
you brew organic beer or not. Annual membership fees are $100 per year
for non-grower members and $100 per certified organic hop acre for
organic hop growers.

Visit their website at www.usorganichops.com for more information on
the AOHGA.
For more on membership, contact in...@usorganichops.com.

Michael Werneke

Jun 17, 2010, 9:34:23 PM6/17/10
to vermon...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Matt <matth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The American Organic Hop Grower Association - a 501(c)(6) non-profit
> association established to promote the use of organic hops - is
> looking for brewers and other industry groups to join our efforts in
> promoting organic hops! Membership is open to anyone in the industry
> who supports the use of organic hops in organic beer, regardless of if
> you brew organic beer or not. Annual membership fees are $100 per year
> for non-grower members and $100 per certified organic hop acre for
> organic hop growers.

That seems awfully steep for both growers and non-growers. Hops are
not very profitable grown conventionally, much less organically. I
have trouble seeing the benefit of joining this association beyond
marketing. And I think I'd rather brew with local over organic if
forced to choose one or the other, as I have done with the food I
serve in my restaurant. Just my $.02.

-Mike

Matt

Jun 18, 2010, 7:29:52 AM6/18/10
to Vermont Hops
I agree its expensive especially for the small acreage hop grower but
most of the current growers who are members are large acreage organic
hop growers like Jason Peralt and Pat Levy who supplies Wolavers with
their organic hops and is featured on one of their beers .

Most of us small organic growers don't have am acre in production or
planted but its still good to see that the association is helping
promote organic hops at the USDA and within the brewing industry .