Hops Workshop

Ocean State Hops

Jul 8, 2010, 8:49:38 AM7/8/10
to Vermont Hops
Hi All,

Sorry if this is a re-post, I got an error message the first time.

Glen Fuller from Rising Sun Farms out in Colorado is hosting/
coordinating a Brew Class and Hops Workshop in a couple of weeks:
http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/?page_id=157. It looks like a good
time with some interesting speakers and workshops, and got me thinking
- why can't we do something similar in the northeast? It seems to me
that there are enough people interested in hops around here that a
similar workshop could be planned. We could center the whole thing
around a small hop farm in New England, similar to Rising Sun Farms.

Does anyone know of a similar event in the northeast? If not, would
anyone be interested in coordinating one? Just a thought...

Matt

--
Ocean State Hops: www.oceanstatehops.com

Matt Hendry

Jul 8, 2010, 12:03:32 PM7/8/10
to vermon...@googlegroups.com
UVM had a Winter Hops Conference at the Von Trap Lodge back in March .

Ocean State Hops

Jul 9, 2010, 1:25:10 PM7/9/10
to vermon...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Matt, I wasn't aware of the conference at the Trapp Lodge.  I'll keep my eyes out for others.

Matt

Matt

Jul 18, 2010, 4:25:43 PM7/18/10
to Vermont Hops
UVM are holing a Hop Workshop in Northfield Mass. on the 24th of
August I'm sure Heather and Rosalie will post more details to the list
soon .

On Jul 9, 1:25 pm, Ocean State Hops <oceanstateh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Matt, I wasn't aware of the conference at the Trapp Lodge.  I'll keep
> my eyes out for others.
>
> Matt
>

> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Matt Hendry <matthen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > UVM had a Winter Hops Conference at the Von Trap Lodge back in March .
>
> >   On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Ocean State Hops <
> > oceanstateh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>  Hi All,
>
> >> Sorry if this is a re-post, I got an error message the first time.
>
> >> Glen Fuller from Rising Sun Farms out in Colorado is hosting/
> >> coordinating a Brew Class and Hops Workshop in a couple of weeks:
> >>http://www.coloradoorganichops.com/?page_id=157.  It looks like a good
> >> time with some interesting speakers and workshops, and got me thinking
> >> - why can't we do something similar in the northeast?  It seems to me
> >> that there are enough people interested in hops around here that a
> >> similar workshop could be planned.  We could center the whole thing
> >> around a small hop farm in New England, similar to Rising Sun Farms.
>
> >> Does anyone know of a similar event in the northeast?  If not, would
> >> anyone be interested in coordinating one?  Just a thought...
>
> >> Matt
>
> >> --
> >> Ocean State Hops:www.oceanstatehops.com
>
> >> --
>
> > --
> > .

Matt

Jul 20, 2010, 10:16:16 AM7/20/10
to Vermont Hops
Heather Darby from UVM emailed me today and told me the the date for
the hops conference is actually the 20th of August not the 24th and
I'm guessing its at Gene L'Etoiles' North Star farms in Northfield
Mass like the last conference .

I hope they also give a presentation on brewing grains (Heather is a
Small Gains Expert) because North Star Farms is growing Barley for
Valley Malt in Hadley Mass.

North Star farms
http://www.farmfresh.org/food/farm.php?farm=2041

Valley malt
http://valleymalt.com

Rosalie Madden

Jul 22, 2010, 9:21:53 AM7/22/10
to Vermont Hops
Yup, Friday, August 20th, hosted by Gene and Bonnie L'Etoile at Four
Star Farms in Northfield, MA. Save the date! I'll post a brochure
with more details soon.

In other exciting news, we're going to be having our 5th Annual Crops
and Soils Field Day on Thursday, August 5th at Borderview Farm in
Alburgh, VT. Borderview Farm hosts the majority of our agricultural
research, including our newly constructed hopyard with our (very!)
recently planted variety trial. Mark Magiera from Bobcat Cafe will be
there to talk about grains and hops from a brewer's perspective.
Should be a good show. Check out the link below for more details:

http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil/wp-content/uploads/2010rainvillefielddayflyer-web-version.pdf

Hope to see you there!

Rosalie Madden
Crops and Soils Technician
UVM Extension
278 S. Main St., Suite 2
St. Albans, VT 05478
(802) 524-6501 Ext. 445

On Jul 20, 10:16 am, Matt <matthen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Heather Darby from UVM emailed me today and told me the the date for
> the hops conference is actually the 20th of August not the 24th and
> I'm guessing its at Gene L'Etoiles' North Star farms in Northfield
> Mass like the last conference .
>
> I hope they also give a presentation on  brewing grains (Heather is a
> Small Gains Expert) because North Star Farms is growing Barley for
> Valley Malt in Hadley Mass.
>
> North Star farmshttp://www.farmfresh.org/food/farm.php?farm=2041
>
> Valley malthttp://valleymalt.com

Rosalie Madden

Aug 17, 2010, 11:29:20 AM8/17/10
to Vermont Hops
Just to make sure everyone is aware of the festivities happening on
the 20th in Northfield, MA:

http://www.uvm.edu/extension/cropsoil/wp-content/uploads/hops-are-hip-2010.pdf