West Virginia White Watch

Kent McFarland

Apr 12, 2022, 11:07:41 AM4/12/22
to VTL...@list.uvm.edu, Vermont-Entomo...@googlegroups.com
Spring is changing. The snow is melting earlier, wildflowers are blooming sooner, and trees are leafing out faster. We want to learn how an unusual butterfly that flies only in forests in early spring, the West Virginia White, is faringand you can help us find out! Your mission: from now until early June, locate a patch of rich, hardwood forest, walk a transect (daily, weekly, whatever works for you), count all the butterflies you find, and report them to our mission. Even if you don’t find any butterflies, zeros are essential to report too. Can you break the early or late record for a West Virginia White sighting? Who will have the highest count? Can we find them in places they’ve never been recorded? Join the West Virginia White Watch (go to https://val.vtecostudies.org/missions/west-virginia-white-watch/and help us find out! Visit the mission data collection site at eButterfly and view results from other watchers (go to https://www.e-butterfly.org/newebapp/en/projects/view/7)

Thanks,
Kent

Kent McFarland (he/him)
Vermont Center for Ecostudies