Spring classic

Rick Curtis

Apr 10, 2023, 10:08:48 AM4/10/23
to veloro...@googlegroups.com, Rochester...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to get a semi-regular gravel ride going this year. Stealing inspiration from some people I know in Michigan the format is a two lap ride. The first lap will be no faster than 15.5mph, with regrouping at the top of oxenberg. The second lap is choose your own adventure. Go fast, go slow, go home. Your call.

Pretty last minute deal, but I'm riding tomorrow 4/11 starting promptly at 6:00pm. Sunset is 7:45 so you might need a light.

The route goes on county road 3 rather than the DT as I don't want people riding fast on the trail. Use common sense there.

--
Rick Curtis

Folpe, Andrew L., M.D.

Apr 10, 2023, 10:20:06 AM4/10/23
to curt...@gmail.com, veloro...@googlegroups.com, Rochester...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for doing this. I always find these 6pm rides tough- either I can get out earlier or sometimes not at all.

If anyone is looking for another option, I almost always ride down in Lanesboro area, over in Elba, or near Hay Creek on at least one weekend morning. Early start, but I’m happy to drive.

—————————————-

Andrew Folpe

Rick Curtis

Apr 10, 2023, 11:19:07 AM4/10/23
to Mario Minelli, veloro...@googlegroups.com, rochester...@googlegroups.com
> I think it may hurt the overall local “gravel community” (for lack of a better phrase) if there are competing groups scheduling rides.
I don't think that's really true. More people riding is better than less. I like the format of ride together for a bit, then ride the pace you'd prefer and let groups form as they will.

> Or to at least have the two lap rides on a night that doesn't conflict with the other scheduled/RASC rides.
I wasn't aware that I conflicted with some other group ride?

In anycase, see you out there

On Mon, Apr 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM Mario Minelli <min...@charter.net> wrote:
I know that the RASC group met a couple months ago and are working out a weekly gravel ride schedule. One of the ideas was to alternate the starting spot (weekly, bi-weekly, monthly—not sure).  That two-lap idea sounds great!  That will help bring in more riders especially if people skip because its too long of a route.  It's easier to map a route too. Maybe you want to contact Carolyn Franzone as she is sort of heading up the gravel ride side of things. I think it may hurt the overall local “gravel community” (for lack of a better phrase) if there are competing groups scheduling rides. Or to at least have the two lap rides on a night that doesn't conflict with the other scheduled/RASC rides.

I was going to be one of the ride coordinators, but I have to bail on that due to a somewhat major life change.

Thanks,
Mario

On Apr 10, 2023, at 9:08 AM, Rick Curtis <curt...@gmail.com> wrote:

Rick Curtis

Rick Curtis

Apr 10, 2023, 12:53:58 PM4/10/23
to veloro...@googlegroups.com, Rochester...@googlegroups.com
I've had a couple people ask - meet at douglas trail/65th st
--
Rick Curtis

cgfranzone (null)

Apr 10, 2023, 2:19:49 PM4/10/23
to Mario Minelli, Rick Curtis, veloro...@googlegroups.com, rochester...@googlegroups.com
RASC will have gravel rides on Thursday evenings (starting in May) with different locations and ride hosts/route makers. We’ll have two distances to accommodate different paces.

I love the idea of the 2 laps! More options for gravel riding is great! I’d just request to not have those rides on a Thursday night.

Reminder: RASC kickoff is Friday, April 28 from 6-8 at 125 Live. We’ll share information about RASC road, gravel, & mtb, have time to socialize with pizza & beer/soda, and then show The Last DAMN film. A gravel ride is being planned from Little Thistle on Saturday, April 29th, too.

So much gravel to explore!

Carolyn Franzone

Sent from my iPhone