Cyrillic Support

Max

May 10, 2024, 9:50:52 AMMay 10
to velociraptor-discuss
Hi,

Can I fix cyrillic support or should I create a feature request for it? Remote commands that return cyrillic text do not render the results correctly, even if downloaded as JSON. Thanks!

issue.png

Mike Cohen

May 10, 2024, 10:07:00 AMMay 10
to Max, velociraptor-discuss
It really depends on the encoding - JSON can not encode unicode directly and normally unicode strings are emitted in utf8 (which will work in the GUI). However in Windows there are several windows specific code pages for console output which are not utf8 so we can not really render them properly. This is really a limitation of the old console based programs which do not support proper utf 8 - you should rather use powershell which supports utf8 well for example for net user use

Get-LocalUser | Select *

Thanks
Mike

Mike Cohen
Digital Paleontologist,
Velocidex Enterprises
mi...@velocidex.com

Max

May 10, 2024, 12:09:08 PMMay 10
to velociraptor-discuss
Hi Mike, thank you!

Just tried PowerShell, but have the same issue (Description field). Locally these fields render fine.
Tested on Windows 11 without any shell or system changes, so that's quite strange to me. Can you kindly assist on what can I do next to debug or fix the issue?

issue.png

пʼятницю, 10 травня 2024 р. о 17:07:00 UTC+3 Mike Cohen пише:

Mike Cohen

May 11, 2024, 4:27:40 PMMay 11
to Max, velociraptor-discuss
Hi Max,
   I just confirmed this works on my system because powershell is outputing in utf8. It is possible that powershell is not configured to output to utf8 on your system so you might need to force to do this first:

This suggests that adding the following might help

$OutputEncoding = [Console]::InputEncoding = [Console]::OutputEncoding = New-Object System.Text.UTF8Encoding

Can you confirm if it fixes the issue? we might just add this in the artifact automatically if so

Thanks
Mike

Mike Cohen
Digital Paleontologist,