First message!

Dave Shishkoff

Jan 25, 2010, 8:15:36 PM1/25/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Heya - this is a test message! You getting this Matt? =)

I was thinking of splitting the table into two - Sprint and Endurance...
Sprint would be 1s, 5s, 10, 20, 30, 60 and 120 sec..

Then Endurance would be 5min, 20, 30, 60, and up to what - 3hrs? 5hrs?

Thanks again for helping out!

*d*

Matt Gerstenberger

Jan 25, 2010, 8:25:23 PM1/25/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
see if this one gets thru.

Dave Shishkoff

Jan 25, 2010, 8:30:20 PM1/25/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Nope, no luck. ;)

Hey, i uploaded an image/icon for the Googlegroups page..hehe

*d*

[Si]dragon

Jan 26, 2010, 8:12:53 AM1/26/10
to VeganPower
I love this idea. Please share the spreadsheet with me over Google
Docs to the email on this post, and I'll add my numbers right away!

Dave Shishkoff

Jan 26, 2010, 12:32:43 PM1/26/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, welcome to the list!

I'm not sure if it's a good idea giving everyone access to the sheet...you
know, too many cooks and accidents (although this isn't a nuclear power
plant either...haha..)

Should we open it up, or just stick with the previous system where people
post their numbers to the list? (That way, everyone gets updated as well!)
Matt is the other person with access to it at the moment, and my thought was
that he'd be the liason with the message board where i had originally set
this up..

Thoughts?

Also, feel free to invite others to the list. =)

- Dave

[Si]dragon

Jan 28, 2010, 9:52:00 AM1/28/10
to VeganPower
Mailing power numbers around isn't too much fun either, and until we
find something more formal, open access to the spreadsheet is one way
to go. However, another cool option is to use Google Forms. For
example, the following form:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGx2ak5oZ08xdTVpZzN6YUtPS1VBYmc6MA

Will fill out this spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tlvjNhgO1u5ig3zaKOKUAbg

And you can even see the results come in real-time. I'm trying to
figure out how to make it overwrite existing records (so someone can
update their own numbers). But it may be just as well to see results
over time.

Dave Shishkoff

Jan 28, 2010, 12:43:51 PM1/28/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
haha - nice form. =)

I'm familiar with Google Forms, but as you've realized, there's no way (at
least i know of) to edit values...only add a new line to the sheet, which
doesn't really serve our purposes.

The *real* way to do this would be to have this hosted on a site, and have
someone program a proper SQL/MySQL database and forms to update it..but this
seems like a LOT of work for a very minor project.

Updates, at least for me, are fairly few and far between. When running it
through the forum, i'd get updates every few weeks, and it'd be just one
field...so this method worked fine. The other nice thing about it being
emailed out is that people are alerted. If it's just added to a table, no
one ever knows - esp. since it's unlikely anyone's going to memorize your
results. (The table doesn't highlight which entries are old or new.) This
keeps the discussion, or at least potential for discussion alive!

As for entering the data, i don't think it's any less cumbersom when doing
it the first time to enter it into a table, or copying and pasting the email
'template' i produced, and adding the numbers there. I imagine about the
same number of keystrokes are required.... And for entering the data into
the table itself, i don't think it'd be any faster, as there are
calculations in all the w/kg fields, and couldn't just paste in a line of
entries. (I'd have to reproduce all the calculations..) I imagine i'd just
end up typing them all in by hand.

I've been doing this for a while already, and am fairly familiar with the
common technology out there and this is the most efficient system i can
think of. FYI, i am a former SQL/ASP programmer, so i'm a little familiar
with the area. =)

That's not to say i'm not open to suggestions, but right now i'd rather get
data into the table, and people added to the list! For now, this system
works, and if we can collectively come up with a better system, i'm all for
it! But let's not stall out for now and stagnate over these details...

Does that make sense and seem fair? What do you think?

*d*

Jan 28, 2010, 9:42:13 PM1/28/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
> Agreed with all that. No worries then.

Cool.

> I did finally get around to doing that 60' interval I promised. ;)
> Came in lower than my last tested threshold score, but not surprising
> considering yesterday. Still, I just have to say: vegan power,
> bitches.

Oh yuck...i don't think i'd ever do a full 60' just for a test..haha..or
even for 'training'!! Sounds like you're beating yourself up pretty well
tho..haha..

Vegan power indeed, lock and load!!! =)

- Dave

chuckieG

Feb 2, 2010, 11:26:42 PM2/2/10
to VeganPower
Hi there,
I decided to start riding seriously this past summer and want to
track
my progress but I don't have a clue what you are talking about...
How do I start? My profile would probably be a good example for
other beginners.

Vegan muscle power,
Charlie

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 2, 2010, 11:56:40 PM2/2/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Hey Charlie, thanks for signing up!

You're welcome to stick around, but to clarify, by 'power' we're talking
about a device called a power meter that you can get for your bike, that
measures the amount of work you're actually doing. It's pretty cool, and
the feedback you get is in watts. (As a visualization, if you held 100
watts for an hour, it would illuminate a 100w light bulb. =)

There are different power meters you can get, but they're all pretty
expensive (in the $1500-5k range). Some are in the hub, like the PowerTap,
and others are in the cranks, like the SRM or Quarq.

When you finish a ride, you download the data from your computer (the Garmin
units are pretty popular), and there's software that lets you examine the
data. The table from the main page are the PB's (personal bests) for these
riders in those specific timeframes.. So Rider X can hold Y watts over 30
minutes. Some riders are more focused on sprinting (their numbers in the
1-60 second range will be significant), and others are more time-trialists,
and don't peak out as high, but hold a much harder effort over time.

So the list is about discussing issues around this - once you have used a
power meter for a while, it's very, very useful for training, and figuring
out exactly how hard you should go, and allows you to build productively,
with very accurate feedback.

Not sure if this is of interest to you, there will also be general training
tips, and vegan nutrition discussion, etc..

Hope that's a help!! I see you're from California, have you spent much time
on the track? I still consider myself primarily a trackie, and there are a
few others on the list. ;)

- Dave

Feb 3, 2010, 1:05:02 AM2/3/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
There are different power meters you can get, but they're all pretty expensive (in the $1500-5k range).  Some are in the hub, like the PowerTap, and others are in the cranks, like the SRM or Quarq.

^ okay, hackneyed search results = really cool stuff!
Did not know aboot these things!

So the list is about discussing issues around this - once you have used a power meter for a while, it's very, very useful for training, and figuring out exactly how hard you should go, and allows you to build productively, with very accurate feedback.

^ Dude, yr serious!
Really good to know, I definately want to gauge my progress, to motivate myself and others.
It's definatley an investment but a really good one...have to calculate my taxes first though.
Since these are cranks and hubs you can thread/mount them up on all kinds of bikes(track)?  Looks like it.

Not sure if this is of interest to you, there will also be general training tips, and vegan nutrition discussion, etc..

Ja, definately interested...
I'm tuning up.  Improving nutrition and increasing my rides, my recovery time is almost nil.
Which means I need to increase, and definately need to keep track of things.
Seriously, shoot out any tips ya got, I am a sponge.

Hope that's a help!!  I see you're from California, have you spent much time on the track?  I still consider myself primarily a trackie, and there are a few others on the list. ;)

Been in the SCO for over 4 years.  Ditched the car after 1 month.  I am about this "_" far from setting up a zipcar account so I can go to Hellyer...
Screw it, it's inevitable.
U can call me one of those "hipster fixie idiots," but I've never been hip or cool.
My wife visited her folks in Boulder for the holiday and stopped by the indoor track for some footage - it only makes the itch worse!  They even have classes for the little groms on the inner mtb course!  That place is so friggin awesome.
All we have here is the polo fields at golden gate park - it has a lot of history, while riding I try to imagine all those that were there before me.

I don't know who else to ask, so tell me, is Madison racing gnarly or what? The switch is so cool, and I've seen the vid's of people smashing too...

Anyway, tell Kev "hey" I am bummed we didn't get to ride around.

Peas,
Charlie

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 7, 2010, 11:14:24 PM2/7/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Heya Charlie, sorry for the delay in response, been a bit buried,

>> There are different power meters you can get, but they're all pretty
>> expensive (in the $1500-5k range). Some are in the hub, like the
>> PowerTap,
>> and others are in the cranks, like the SRM or Quarq.
>
> ^ okay, hackneyed search results = really cool stuff!
> Did not know aboot these things!

Yes, they're pretty amazing!! Thus a whole group to discuss training with
them. =)

> Since these are cranks and hubs you can thread/mount them up on all kinds
> of
> bikes(track)? Looks like it.

For the most part... The crank designs are the only ones you can easily use
on the track...there's a 'fix' you can do to a PowerTap wheel, but it's not
great...

> Seriously, shoot out any tips ya got, I am a sponge.

haha - where to start? ;)

> Been in the SCO for over 4 years. Ditched the car after 1 month. I am
> about this "_" far from setting up a zipcar account so I can go to
> Hellyer...
> Screw it, it's inevitable.

Awesome, i went to our track 5yrs ago and was hooked my first
session...didn't race or anything before that...just a bit of casual weekend
riding. ;)

> My wife visited her folks in Boulder for the holiday and stopped by the
> indoor track for some footage - it only makes the itch worse! They even
> have classes for the little groms on the inner mtb course! That place is
> so
> friggin awesome.

Cat on the list trains there.

> I don't know who else to ask, so tell me, is Madison racing gnarly or
> what?
> The switch is so cool, and I've seen the vid's of people smashing too...

Yep, i think it might be my favorite bunch race event, probably where i
excel most as well...shorter, harder intervals with an insane need for
tactics seem to suit me..

> Anyway, tell Kev "hey" I am bummed we didn't get to ride around.

He's signed-up to the list, hopefully he see this.

Good to have you onboard, Charlie!

- Dave

Alex Tellez

Feb 9, 2010, 11:37:21 AM2/9/10
to VeganPower
dude -

this is awesome! i have an SRM and love putting my watts against my
meat-eating freinds.
Been riding the bike for about 7 months total, 6 if you discount the 1-
month from falling off from clipping in/out of pedals!

5 second: 1150 watts
1 min: 559 watts
5 mins: 362 watts
20 min: 310 watts

Still soooooooooo much to learn. Lucky for me tonite is V02 max-
interval night. Whippee....[ouch!]

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 9, 2010, 11:38:58 PM2/9/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Hey Alex, welcome to the list! =)

Added you to the table, fire over the rest of your #'s when you have a
moment. I also need to know your weight!

Pretty impressive #'s for a beginning, you must have been doing something
prior to this? Unless, as the joke goes, you weight 300lbs...heh..

- Dave

Feb 10, 2010, 12:31:16 PM2/10/10
to VeganPower
Yo Dave -

I weigh 63 kg [139 lbs].
Prior to cycling I was a long distance runner [started that in 2009].
Prior to that and for the last 24 years, I was a lard-ass, meat-eating-
wide-nosed-breathing-all-the-good-peoples-air banker!

raw...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2010, 12:33:14 AM2/11/10
to VeganPower
Hey Alex! Good to see ya here. You making the switch from runner to
cyclist or still doing both?

Kev

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 11, 2010, 1:04:28 AM2/11/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Holy crap dude, are you serious??? You've got *serious* power there!! And
you're just getting started..wow - do you have any cycling goals? Wherever
you race, you're going to tear it up!

- Dave

Feb 19, 2010, 1:16:47 AM2/19/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Heya - sorry for the delay in response!

Don't let that get you down Alex, you're just getting started, who knows how
close you'll get!

Yeah, tactics play a huge role in bunch races...but also in TT's, there's a
surprising amount of strategy and planning that goes into squeezing the most
time out of a course.

Neither Kev nor i are in CA tho, we're up here in Victoria, BC! A few hills
to climb if you ever make it up this way. ;)

- Dave