Using WKO to predict strenght/fatigue (TSB/TSS, etc..)

1 view

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 10, 2010, 12:07:28 AM2/10/10
to Vegan Power Cycling List
Heya!

For those of you using WKO/TrainingPeaks software, how familiar are you with
utilizing the Performance Management Chart (PMC) to determine if you're too
fatigued to do the workout you want to do?

I'm trying to get a grip on it to try and make my workouts as useful as
possible....the nice thing about training with power is that you can (in
theory) predict if you're not up to snuff...

Today's workout is a good example of this.. Went out aiming to do a 45min
Tempo (~1hr FTP, 70-75rpm) interval, which i SMASHED last Thursday(averaged
269w over 40mins). A lot of my efforts have been closer to 257w, even tho i
feel like i'm going pretty well (and the watts appear to be in the right
range while i'm riding!!) I've had a 35min effort at 264w as well, and the
rest, 25-35min, have been at 257w.

Today i could tell my legs weren't happy at the start..but thought i'd give
it a go. Started, and felt alright, watts were there. At home, turns out i
did another 157w effort, and i cut it short, only 30min. HR was
significantly higher than other 157w efforts, and actually higher than my
269w effort! (178bpm vs 177bpm.) Noticed my HR was higher than usual riding
out...so suspected HR would be elevated regardless...another bad omen i
suppose.

Looking at the PMC, i noticed that relatively close to my two best Tempo
workouts my TSB was up quite a bit...1.5 and 7.3 respectively.... Yesterday
it was -21 and -26 on Sunday...

(TSB is basically your 'potential performance', calculated over your efforts
over the last 30 days. A positive number usually means you're about to have
a good day...haha..)

I'm guessing that i might be pushing too hard, and ought to try and drop my
daily TSS values, in order to allow my TSB to stay in a reasonable
zone..perhaps keeping my Tempo sessions shorter... I would imagine 30mins
at my desired wattage is better than 45mins at a 10-15w less....

Is that sounding about right? =)

- Dave

raw...@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2010, 12:35:31 AM2/11/10
to VeganPower
Dave you mean 257 watts where you typed 157 correct? There is no way
you were only doing 157 lol.

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 11, 2010, 12:44:29 AM2/11/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
D'oh! Yes, 257w, not 157w...i don't know why i was typing that in. Efforts
at 157w sound dreamy.. ;)

So i think i'm going to try and follow my own advice and take it easy
tomorrow... Get in a good ride Sat, and ease off Sunday, and hopefully i'll
be fresh for next week, and drop the lengths of my Tempos... Week after
that will be another 'easy-ish' week (3wks hard, 1 wk easy-ish).

- Dave