how does altitude affect power?

John Scales

Feb 1, 2010, 8:33:39 AM2/1/10
to VeganPower
http://www.twowheelblogs.com/how-altitude-affects-power-output

Not exactly a peer-reviewed study, but seems consistent with what I've
read elsewhere. I'll take my Powertap to sea level for Mount
Washington this year.

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 1, 2010, 3:37:52 PM2/1/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Heya John, thanks for posting this! It'll be interesting to see if this
translates for you when you do the event at lower elevation.

I'm at sea level, and the highest peaks around here are just a few hundred
meters, so i hardly get to experience that kind of elevation! I do recall
feeling it a bit in California a few years ago on some of the epic climbs we
did....

Don't forget to submit your numbers, btw! There's a template in the Files
section, copy and paste the text into an email and send it over! =)

- Dave

Matt Gerstenberger

Feb 1, 2010, 3:52:51 PM2/1/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
hmm, that's interesting. I've spent plenty of time with my PT in the Alps. I
can't say I've ever really noticed a difference, but it's always been long
steady climbs (up to 2400m ) that would mostly be below FTP anyway. Too bad I
don't think I have any of the power files. I wonder how the altitude you've
trained at would come into that.