Re: [VeganPower] Energy Efficiency q

Matt Gerstenberger

Feb 1, 2010, 8:37:10 PM2/1/10
to Vegan Power Cycling List
Did you find out any more info below?  It was my understanding that W=(kj*a)/X  (or something similar) where a is some efficiency factor that is more or less static and X is someother constant.  However current thinking is again going back to believing that you can increase your ability to burn fat at different effort levels and reduce the glycogen demands.  That would mean you could do the same effort with fewer cals input thru carbs when training, but that your overall efficiency does not change.    hrrrr dunno!

here's what PowerTap has to say about it:
http://www.saris.com/CalorieCalculator.aspx

If i were to do a 10min effort at, say, 280w, then and now, would i burn the
same amount of energy/kj/calories?  Or, due to improved conditioning,
efficiency, etc, would i burn more energy a year ago?

Curious as a TT buddy of mine thinks he's burning 1400-1600 calories in his
1hr training sessions, which he does pretty much full-out and is a strong
rider, but it seems strange at the same time that someone can burn through
*that much* energy in an hour...  I think i peak out at around 900kj in an
hour fairly close to threshold, according to TrainingPeaks...and there's
also no way he's doing twice my wattage for that hour (490w), he's prolly in
the 410-430w 1hr FTP range..

Whaddya think?

Dave Shishkoff

Feb 1, 2010, 11:36:35 PM2/1/10
to vegan...@googlegroups.com
Nope, haven't done any additional research... This table has a pulldown for
efficiency...but doesn't really explain how that works...

I wish JBC were on the list, he was pushing the kind of watts we're talking
about! =P

Some cool news locally tho -- the guy this is actually about is one of the
fastest TT and RR/Crit riders in BC, and he's been eating vegan with the
exception of 15g of whey every day....and he's likely to drop that as well.
He'd give JBC a run for his money. ;)

*d*