Vegadns Delegation

Jay Khashan

Jul 19, 2017, 4:41:32 PM7/19/17
to VegaDNS
Hello All,

Can anyone tell me how do I create a Delegation in Vegadns?

Thanks in advance

Jay k

Bill Shupp

Jul 19, 2017, 4:50:20 PM7/19/17
to veg...@googlegroups.com
You'll need to create the domain, and just point the nameservers to nameservers of where it is going to be hosted.  So at a minimum, you need the SOA record (created by default), and at least one NS record that points to the NS domain name of the NS server you are delegating to.  Ideally two NS records or more.

Cheers,

Bill

Jay Khashan

Jul 19, 2017, 5:16:24 PM7/19/17
to VegaDNS
Thanks Bill,

Here'e an example.

I have the following setup. I need to delegate the FQDM "newsimota-prov.uscc.com" to be resolved by F5 GTM. the F5 GTM has 2 NS1/NS2 as Name servers. When a query comes in to uscc.com NS it should delegate it to F5

Bill Shupp

Jul 19, 2017, 6:01:13 PM7/19/17
to veg...@googlegroups.com
You don't have to create the domain, you can create the delegation within the uscc.com zone, as you have above.  The uscc.com zone presumably has an SOA record (not shown above), and you're really delegating the zone gtm.newsimota.prov.uscc.com.  I don't know if the CNAME of newsimota-prov.uscc.com to gtm.newismota.prov.uscc.com will work as you want, though.  You'd have to test.  But the delegation of gtm.newsimota.prov.uscc.com should work.

If you are concerned with traffic interruption, I suggest you run tests with some other non-production domains so you are comfortable with how delegation works...  Particularly with that CNAME, which I suspect will only work for that hostname (rather than the whole domain), but again, you'll need to test.

Cheers,

Bill